Slacker vs. Pandora???

phreakaj

Reaction score
I have beenusing pandorab for about a month and then I downloaded slacker, slacket has stations to pick from wo programming your own like on pandora(which plays the same artists over and over). However with slacker my bass notes sound horrible on the hip hop stations (and pretty much anything with any pronounced bassline). I actually thought my headset was breaking down until I played them w pandora again. Is this just me or is anyone else having this problem?

SwordOfWar

Reaction score
Well pandora equalizes the stream to get the best sound. Slacker could details using lower quality streams as well. Not much you can do about that.

I add a new station on pandora for every band or artist I like, then I play through them untilled I check a few songs I like. Then I go to the quick mix station to get a wider variety.

Slacker just sucks... the only thing you can do is tell them to update it to meet those limitations.

mchammer

Reaction score
Well pandora equalizes the stream to get the best sound. Slacker could details using lower quality streams as well. Not much you can do about that.

I add a new station on pandora for every band or artist I like, then I play through them untilled I check a few songs I like. Then I go to the quick mix station to get a wider variety.

Slacker just sucks... the only thing you can do is tell them to update it to meet those limitations.

I see how to bookmark, but how do you add a new station? And go to quick mix station?

claustin

Reaction score
I'm not really an audiophile so any sound differences don't bother me. I've noticed bass distortions with both. I used to use pandora exclusively because of the quick mix feature, but if you go on slacker on your PC you can create custom stations that are close to quick mix. No real way to mix genres though. If i could mix my custom stations together it'd be perfect in my opinion. If slacker does use lower quality it's fine by me because Pandora would be barely usable in my office but slacker cuts out much less. Doesn't matter if Pandora's quality is better if i can't get it to play. That's just me though.

drowe

Reaction score
I've never used Pandora so this is just my Slacker view. You can create a custom station with any artists you like. I've got Paul Revere and the Raiders, Slayer, and Blondie among others on my main station. I also like it because for less than $50 /year I can cache my stations on my SD card and listen without having to be connected. You don't have to pay, but if you want to cache you do need to.

Chatchie

Reaction score
I prefer slacker but get a crackle during hard bass notes so I use pandora. Last.fm is pretty sweet too.

Greaser

Reaction score
I'm really on the fence between the two, Slackers audio sounds alot better now, after there last update, but still not as good as Pandora. I think the interface of Slacker is nicer, you get to see a preview of the next band they are playing, and you can see the song duration, plus if you pay for a subscription, you get unlimited skips, where if you paid for a subscription to Pandora, all you get is the adds taken off (still only 6 skips per hour). But Pandora seems more stable, better sound quality, and my personal opinion, when you play a station, it plays a better selection of songs.