Slacker Radio released for Android!

OfTheDamned

Reaction score
All you former BlackBerry should know and love Slacker. They have just released an app for Android and it also has a widget!

Slacker for Android
Not familiar with Slacker? Check it out here.

Timber

Reaction score
Nice. This was my one must have app and I didn't think it would be out until later in the year. I guess it is at the end of the year now isn't it.

Droid128

Reaction score
yayy! i've always been a pandora user on my bb but i guess slacker is sort of the same deal?

Timber

Reaction score
Similar although I've found Slacker to be better then Pandora. You can customize the stations a little more to your liking.

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
Cool. I already have a Slacker G2 radio, but will be sure to add this.

bamfsig45

Reaction score
Ive done Slacker and Pandora. But I think I prefer last.fm which is also available. I have the last.fm toolbar for Firefox ect so last.fm would be my choice. But this is good news and I really think we'll have a very high number of apps come 1st quarter 2010.

OP
OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned

Reaction score
Ive done Slacker and Pandora. But I think I prefer last.fm which is also available. I have the last.fm toolbar for Firefox ect so last.fm would be my choice. But this is good news and I really think we'll have a very high number of apps come 1st quarter 2010.

I agree 100%. Think about the fact that there are currently 10,000 apps and for the longest time the only carrier to have Android (more or less) was T-Mobile. Now it is on Sprint and Verizon. The number of available users has just increased 1000x. That will surely make developers more interested in creating apps. Plus, from what I understand it is far easier to make apps for iPhone and Android than the other OSs. I can easily see the Android Market getting as big as the iPhone app store in no time at all.

Inundated

Reaction score
I think it's a great sign that high profile apps like Slacker, Pandora and last.fm already have Android versions...for that matter, same with the NBA and MLB applications, WeatherBug, etc. It means those looking for a mass market for their mobile apps see potential in the Android platform, and are actively developing for it.

OP
OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned

Reaction score
Update: Just played with the app on a friends G1 and it is awesome. It works just like you would expect it to only better. No need to cache on this like it did on the BlackBerry, the streaming is very smooth and the sound quality was great. The Widget doesn't really do anything but launch the app though.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Update: Just played with the app on a friends G1 and it is awesome. It works just like you would expect it to only better. No need to cache on this like it did on the BlackBerry, the streaming is very smooth and the sound quality was great. The Widget doesn't really do anything but launch the app though.
I'm coming from Blackberry and just got the Moto Droid. I always favored Slacker over Pandora for two reasons - sound quality, and cache. The advantage of caching a station is because if you're traveling and hit a dead spot (hey, even happens with VZW) your music continues to play. I sure hope Slacker comes out with the ability to cache the stations soon. Now, there's a 3rd thing Slacker for android has that didn't on the BB, and that is the ability to immediately start playing the last station you were playing without having to select your station each time.

I installed last.fm on my Droid tonight. I created an account and on my home computer set up some of my favorite songs. However, sometimes it plays sometimes it doesn't. So, even though I have the widget, I hope to get better results than I am so far.