skype or something for free international?

searayman

Reaction score
If I wanted to talk to someone for free internationally could I use my 3g data to Skype or talk to Simone on there computer in another country?

synctek

Reaction score
I tried to use skype and call my pc from the droid with NO success. It dials but then instantly hangs up. Skype's IM function works from the droid to the pc but so far that is it. Am I missing something?

OP
S

searayman

Reaction score
I just got something called fring and am going to give it a try to call a computer overseas

zeira

Reaction score
I tried to use skype and call my pc from the droid with NO success. It dials but then instantly hangs up. Skype's IM function works from the droid to the pc but so far that is it. Am I missing something?

Does this use your Verizon minutes or does it use data? Thanks!

angelman

Reaction score
I havent tried skype to a computer from the phone but I have used skype to call international (using my skype credit). I had problems with it not working at first but then I realised I had my old phone number as "my phone number" in the skype setup. Once I fixed that it worked flawlessly. Apart from the skype credit cost, as long as I add the skype access number to my friends and family it should be very cheap to cost international (not free though). I may try sometime to call a computer though and see if that works quite possibly not.
Next up I would love to see video calling with skype. I know 3g can do it. The UK had cell phone to cell phone video calling 10 years ago when 3g first came out in the UK.

akj27

Reaction score
I call Brazil every other day and I've been using Google Voice for that. They charge me $0.04 a minute whereas Verizon would be charging me almost 2 dollars a minute.

Doc1

Reaction score
I call Brazil every other day and I've been using Google Voice for that. They charge me $0.04 a minute whereas Verizon would be charging me almost 2 dollars a minute.

I applied to google for an invite a few days ago and am still waiting for an answer. Is there a way to speed up the process?

synctek

Reaction score
Quote: Originally Posted by synctek

Does this use your Verizon minutes or does it use data? Thanks!

I have not been able to get it to work - but I assume that if it did work, skype calls from the Droid to a PC would only use data...perhapse that is why calling from skype doesnt work????

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb

atlharry

Reaction score
nah i just use it all the time:)

@DROID_USER - Would you mind if I changed the numbers at the end of your globallinxs url? Or would you rather that just keep the sales rep ID the same?

Half your posts are ads. As well as your twitter posts.

atlharry

Reaction score
We just don't want to see our informational forums turned into a big advertising spam target.

Milehighjc

Reaction score
Im expecting to travel to London this year - since the Droid wont work as a phone in London (Verizon/CDMA), Im wondering if I can do something similar, in this case call from London over a WIFI connection to the US. I think this is the inverse of what many of you are trying to do, although the solution may be something like Skype.

Thoughts?

jc

JamesX

Reaction score

I applied to google for an invite a few days ago and am still waiting for an answer. Is there a way to speed up the process?
Subscribe to this Thread
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-general-discussions/11807-google-voice.html

When someone post on the thread with invites, ask politely :) (and with all due haste, they are gone fast).

Don't post in the thread asking for invites. The thread is for those with invites to post in. :) Good luck.