Skype on Froyo

Reaction score
I have now tried two different kangerade versions on my moto droid and both of them cause skype to FC during sign in. I have seen at least three other people mention this in various places around the forum but nobody has answered. Is this unresolved still?

ohioDroid

Reaction score
I think Skype is so far, incompatible with 2.2, period.

I'm running FRF84b and Skype doesn't even show up in the Market now (which leads me to think Verizon knows there is an issue).

I use Fring. You have to register an account with them for free, but then you give them the skype user name and password and it works fine. It even does skype video.

Also, Fring works over WiFi whereas Skype does not. Which means even when out of range (foreign country) of Verizon, if you can find a wifi hotspot you can make the free skype calls.

OP
MAD Industries
Reaction score
I think Skype is so far, incompatible with 2.2, period.

I'm running FRF84b and Skype doesn't even show up in the Market now (which leads me to think Verizon knows there is an issue).

I use Fring. You have to register an account with them for free, but then you give them the skype user name and password and it works fine. It even does skype video.

Also, Fring works over WiFi whereas Skype does not. Which means even when out of range (foreign country) of Verizon, if you can find a wifi hotspot you can make the free skype calls.

Thanks for the tip! Worked like a charm :)

kamisan

Reaction score
fring is dead

Fring just got castrated by skype. Skype no longer allows them to pipe their signal. Skype claims fring was making their brand weaker, (skype is doing a great job of that all by themselves)
So fring is out, skype mobile is a joke, voice over IP I wait for a good app to appear...

Skype and Fring both have notifications as of the 12th of july...

(yeah I put a flaming post on skypes blog... not that it will help but I do feel a little better)