S

strobez395

Reaction score
screenshot20100225at103.png

screenshot20100225at103.png

They enjoy giving false hope.

fallsgable

Reaction score
whats the catch though....the friendly smiling faces at Verizon are NOT going to let us off FREE!
Will using Skype through Verizon burn minutes, as an out of network call....like Google voice calling (assuming you do NOT have the friends & family)
or will it just be a data usage thing...seeing as most have an unlimited data plan, I cannot see this as a route they are going....

I have a Google voice number, but only use it for messaging at this time, until I can really utilize it fully....

someone explain and help me out here...Thanks Droid GURU GODS!

MarkB

Reaction score
As it's planned now, using the upcoming Skype app will allow free voice calling to and from people who are using Skype on their phones or computers (more likely computers). If you use SkypeOut to call a regular phone number, it will go over your data plan as VoIP but Verizon will subtract the minutes from your cell plan.

There are other apps available which purport to allow SkypeOut calls for free, like Fring. That's the one that I tried and I was never able to get it to work. Most of the other apps don't get good reviews for Skype voice functionality.

My bet is that the quality will be better with the Verizon app, but the "gotcha" is that they've arranged it so that your cell minutes get used anyway.