SIM card recognition problem after factory data reset after ICS update

linbmcd

Reaction score
I've looked through the forums and haven't seen this yet, so here goes.

After the OTA ICS update, my Rezound was behaving more strangely than usual, so I followed the great instructions supplied by TisMyDroid: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/rescue-squad-help/219101-getting-most-success-upgrading-ics-gb.html. I backed up everything with My Backup, did the FDR, and then restored everything. I am now re-calibrating my battery per the instructions, which requires that the phone is turned off while charging (for the first two cycles). I do this overnight.

The problem is that for the last two mornings, when I turn my phone on after charging, I immediately get a message that I do not have a SIM card in the phone. This message disappears after about 5 seconds. The call function works fine.

I'll mention that I have always had trouble with the phone connecting to either 3G or 4G, but after the fdr, it's been worse, as has been my wireless connection. I can't figure out why this would just happen after an fdr, but I'm not a techie, so someone else may have some ideas. In the meantime, is the best thing to do to pull the SIM card and then remount it?

acejavelin

Reaction score
I think you are confusing the SIM card with the microSD card here, you don't mount the SIM card.

Pull the battery, then remove the SIM card (the white one underneath the battery, not the black microSD card you can see with the battery installed), then reinsert it making sure it is correctly in place and the little latch is "locking" it in place, then put the battery back in and power up. If you are still having problems, stop by a Verizon corporate store or call tech support and have them send you a new SIM card... VZW's SIM cards do not seem to be as reliable as GSM SIMs from AT&T or other carriers.

This is where I would start with this one since you already did the factory reset.

OP
linbmcd

linbmcd

Reaction score
I think you are confusing the SIM card with the microSD card here, you don't mount the SIM card.

Thank you acejavelin, but I wasn't confusing the SIM card with the microSD card - I think I confused the issue for you and anyone else reading this by using the wrong verb ("remount" instead of, for example, "reinsert").

After I posted, I did power off the phone, pulled the battery, removed the SIM card, then reinserted it, replaced the battery and cover, and powered back on. I didn't get the "no SIM card" message......the first time. But it was back this morning. So off to Verizon I go.

gjb30

Reaction score
THANK YOU for posting this - I have the exact same problem with the Sim card since updating ICS, and thought I was alone.

Just an FYI - I went to a Verizon store and asked for help - they had no idea what the problem was - swapping out the sim card for a new one and the problem still persisted. They are shipping me a 'certified like new' (read as 'previously used and broken but we fixed it and want to give it to you'), but I think I'll keep my old one - you are right, the phone still works, and the warning goes away after a few seconds. Maybe if enough people have this, they'll get around to doing something about it.

OP
linbmcd

linbmcd

Reaction score
But wait, there's more....

I visited my friendly neighborhood Verizon store. The tech pulled my SIM card out, let it sit for a while, re-inserted it, and of course, after numerous power offs and reboots (intentional), the nasty SIM card missing message was gone. Unfortunately, within 24 hours, my battery began freaking out. It appeared to suddenly discharge (although it had been sitting idle for only an hour at about 40%, with NOTHING turned on to to drain the batter) - the screen was dark, and the icons and text were dark blue. I plugged the phone back in, and it immediately came to life, registering about 50-60% charge. HUH?

Back to Verizon, where a different tech looked at the phone, powered off and on a few times, told me that it was odd that my phone looked like it was turning on, then appeared to turn off, then turned back on again. I told him it had always done this, even before ICS. He said it was a software problem and ordered me a...............refurbished phone. Stay tuned........

Snoking

Reaction score
I swear yhat VZW would better off if they just had their techs read they forums verses any training they are given.

mjonesih

Reaction score
Similar Issue

So, I have the same issue with the phone starting up and saying that the SIM card is not inserted for the first five seconds while the phone is powered on. However, I am having the opposite issue...I can connect to 4G/3G and use the internet, but I cannot receive or make phone calls 99% of the time. If I do manage to get a call to go through, it lasts 30 seconds (at the most) and disconnects. Every once in a while, the phone will decide that it will send or receive texts as well. I noticed it has only been since the OTA ICS update as well. I was in a Verizon store today for 3 hours. They got a new SIM and did a factory reset, neither of which helped anything. They were also on the phone with tech support for an hour and they assumed it was a problem with the switch on one of the towers in my area, but I'm now in a completely different area of the state with the same issue. I'm slated to get a refurbished phone as well, which I have to pay to have over-nighted even though it's a warranty issue. :mad: I'll post what I find out...

acejavelin

Reaction score
So, I have the same issue with the phone starting up and saying that the SIM card is not inserted for the first five seconds while the phone is powered on. However, I am having the opposite issue...I can connect to 4G/3G and use the internet, but I cannot receive or make phone calls 99% of the time. If I do manage to get a call to go through, it lasts 30 seconds (at the most) and disconnects. Every once in a while, the phone will decide that it will send or receive texts as well. I noticed it has only been since the OTA ICS update as well. I was in a Verizon store today for 3 hours. They got a new SIM and did a factory reset, neither of which helped anything. They were also on the phone with tech support for an hour and they assumed it was a problem with the switch on one of the towers in my area, but I'm now in a completely different area of the state with the same issue. I'm slated to get a refurbished phone as well, which I have to pay to have over-nighted even though it's a warranty issue. :mad: I'll post what I find out...
Sounds like VZW support tried everything I would do (factory reset, new SIM) except one thing, reflash the update via the RUU, or even flash the Global Mode leak RUU, those are the only other things I can think of to try.

Were you completely stock before the update? (never changed kernel, radios, ROMs, etc)

Let us know if the new phone fixes the problem, I am guessing it will though.

mjonesih

Reaction score
Sounds like VZW support tried everything I would do (factory reset, new SIM) except one thing, reflash the update via the RUU, or even flash the Global Mode leak RUU, those are the only other things I can think of to try.

Were you completely stock before the update? (never changed kernel, radios, ROMs, etc)

Let us know if the new phone fixes the problem, I am guessing it will though.

At the risk of sounding like a complete idiot...I have no idea what the RUU is. :unsure: Sorry, completely new to the in-depth smartphone world... How would I go about reflashing the update via the RUU?

At any rate, the phone was completely stock before the update. Thanks for the response, and sorry I sound like a complete "newb"

acejavelin

Reaction score
No problem, sorry if I didn't explain myself clearer.

And "RUU" is essentially an a HTC factory image of the complete firmware for the phone, it comes in either a ZIP format that if flashed with a key combination at boot up on the phone or an EXE format that is run on your PC and guides through a flashing process on the phone (not all versions are available in EXE format). The nice apart about these is they are digitally signed by HTC and will not void your warranty if you install them, they do not root, unlock, or S-OFF your device, but not all of them are accepted by Verizon and considered "official" versions. Sometimes HTC releases a version for people to test with, or releases it by accident (yeah, right), and that is called a "leaked" RUU, it is completely legit, digitally signed by HTC, the caveat of these "leaked" RUU images is that if Verizon doesn't accept them and OTA update that version, you will not get future OTA updates.

The flashing process is quite simple, the EXE files you just run on your PC and follow the prompts. The ZIP file requires a few more steps but is still pretty simple, the quick run down is you rename to "PH98IMG.zip" and copy it to the root directory of the SD card in the phone (external SD card, not internal phone storage), then shutdown, pull the battery and replace, power on holding down POWER+VOL DOWN, allow the process to complete (may reboot a time or two on it's own), and you have new firmware.

Where I was going with all that is that it is possible (although unlikely) that the OTA corrupted the firmware on your phone, and flashing the same version's RUU file might correct that.

And if your phone was completely stock, then my other couple ideas are shot down anyways, so I won't go into them.

jspradling7

Reaction score
Was there a resolution to this? I have a Rezound here doing exactly what this thread discribes. My sim card works fine in other phones. This phone is stock and says it has 4.03 on it.
Thanx

OP
linbmcd

linbmcd

Reaction score
Yes, there was a resolution. After numerous refurbished Rezounds, I ended up trading the Rezound for a refurbished Motorola Droid RAZR. The Rezound had continual problems, the last of which was that, during a phone call the display would not return once I took the phone away from my face. I couldn't make calls that required passwords, or automoated choices once the call was initiated. At that point, I had had it with the Rezound, and wanted any other phone that would be reliable. The local Verizon store would not provide me with another phone, so I ended up talking to various tech reps, one of which was, in polite terms, rude and ignoarant. I finally ended up with a great rep who listened to my tale of woe, understood where I was coming from, and offered to send me a the RAZR. Since that had been my second choice when I was upgrading a year and a half ago, I went with it.