Sim card not authorized

TJ Hanna

Reaction score
I have a question. About a month after i got my razr i started getting a red X in the upper left hand corner on my phone. It said sim card not authorized for 4G LTE. Power down phone and call customer service. I call Version and they sent me a new sim card. Well i woke up this morning and i had that same notification.

Has anyone else come across this issue and uf so what is causing it? Oh and if i power down the phone and turn it back on the notification is gone.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

NEL_REY

Reaction score
It means you have texts that never went through. Go through your texts and resend or erase the entire thread. I just leearned that yesterday on my wifes razr

nel_rey

OP
T

TJ Hanna

Reaction score
Really now? So it has nothing to do with 4G LTE?

NEL_REY

Reaction score
If its a red x inside a little circle it means some of your texts never went through. Check it out you will laugh. Just delete or resend youll be fine. :)

nel_rey

OP
T

TJ Hanna

Reaction score
Lol well thats just retarded. Lol. Why wouldn't they have a different message. Lmfao. Thanx

NEL_REY

Reaction score
I agree it took me an hour to figure it out. Let me know if it works for you :)

nel_rey

OP
T

TJ Hanna

Reaction score
I sure will. Thanx again buddy

SallyC

Reaction score
I had that message when Verizon was having 4G problems. I was not sending text messages.

Turning off the phone then restarting solved it. Putting it in 3g mode prevented it.

Haven't had it in weeks.

NEL_REY

Reaction score
Ok now we have two possible fixes but im very sure mine was the unsent text. The only way to know for sure is if tj uses both methods to see which one worked. Which ever can help i will cheer :)

nel_rey

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
If its a red x inside a little circle it means some of your texts never went through. Check it out you will laugh. Just delete or resend youll be fine. :)

nel_rey

I am skeptical of the "sim card authorization error" being tied to texts that failed. I would love to have the opportunity to experience that myself, but since the nationwide outages have stopped, I haven't had a sim auth problem.

NEL_REY

Reaction score
I understand but i refered to the tj issue with the red circle x. Other than that i dont know about the sim card issue. Just remember if you have a text that failed to send. :)

nel_rey

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I understand but i refered to the tj issue with the red circle x. Other than that i dont know about the sim card issue. Just remember if you have a text that failed to send. :)

nel_rey

Understood and agreed, however the OP mentioned that he had both a red x AND Sim Card authorization error. There have been many posts over the last few weeks regarding authorization errors - a great portion (if not nearly all) are due to several large (nationwide) 4G outages that Verizon has experienced and these authorization errors in most cases resolved themselves. Often times, outages of this type are due to one or more computer server systems or "switches) which suffer failures, but the downline network switches are working normally. This results in some people getting routed to working switches and some getting unfortunately routed to the failed ones. As SallyC mentioned, in some cases a reboot or reset corrected the error, and sometimes the problem went away on its own, but often in both cases the problem returned some time later.

This is generally not a failure of the Sim card, since the Sim card is nothing more than a tiny Flash Ram card, not too different than a USB drive or the MicroSD card in your phone right next to it. Generally if the Sim card actually does fail, it will never recover and must be replaced, so if resetting or rebooting seems to resolve the problem for a period of time (confirmed if you can then connect to data at 3G & 4g), the card is functioning normally.

Initially when the outages first started many of the stores and even the phone support technicians weren't aware of the problem on the network and so their first inclination was to replace the Sim. Sometimes the new Sim card "seemed" to fix the problem (more likely it was just pure chance), only to have it return, sometimes the problem never reoccured, and sometimes the new card failed out of the gate. Once the word got to the technicians, they stopped wasting Sim cards and told the customers of the outages, recommended they power-cycle the phones, and alerted them that there could be extended periods of outage. This latter explanation proved accurate.

I would give it a day or two, keep trying every few hours or so to see if the problem has gone away on its own, and you might as SallyC suggested, simply power the phone off and on again to see if the servers are able to authorize you. I found that it becomes pure chance when resetting that you get through or not.