Signal bars changing colors?

heath223

Reaction score
I have noticed my signal bars going from white to blue at times. Anyone have any idea what causes this?

leobg

Reaction score
This is Gingerbread feature. White means not connected to google services, blue means connected.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

geobernd

Reaction score
Same here. It's very annoying because the blue colored once make it impossible to see if you have full or zero bars (zero is just a tad darker than full). Not sure who did the ergonomic design on it but it's a fail...

OP
heath223

heath223

Reaction score
Pardon my stupidity :blink: but what are Google services or what do they do?

leobg

Reaction score
Pardon my stupidity :blink: but what are Google services or what do they do?

This is stuff like Google mail, Google calendar, Google market,etc. If you disable data, these services will go offline and bar will turn grey. The idea is so you know when notifications from Google are being pushed to your phone. Originally it is green (AOSP Gingerbread), but Motorola made it blue to match the theme they used.
To spare you the confusion what AOSP means - it is Android Open Source Project - or the "original unmodified" Android that Google develops.
Here is a picture with AOSP default green theme where services are off:
notification.png

and here is a picture of how it looks with services on - notice data connection and signal strength is green not grey:
qyac8z.png

Last edited:

geobernd

Reaction score
The green ones are great - there you can clearly see on vs. off - but the way Motorola did 'somewhat lighter' blue for one and 'somewhat darker' blue for off is simply stupid...