SICK of Facebook app taking up RAM on its own. Anyway to stop it?

doogald

Reaction score
I have used LauncherPro in the past and it has been a great app. I will probably start using it again, but I think that the stock launcher shouldn't be getting force closed, and things like one app needlessly taking up so much RAM doesn't help.

FWIW, I have found that LauncherPro is one of the worst for avoiding launcher restarts. If you do switch to LP (or LP+), keep that in mind if it keeps happening, and think about using a different launcher.

Also, of course, the more widgets that you use, the more likely that the launcher will be marked inactive. If you do have a lot of launcher restarts, it may be worthwhile to start taking off widgets to see if losing one or two of them helps with this.

Facebook takes up about 16 MB of RAM on my phone most of the time. If I actually activate the app and then go in to check RAM usage, it goes up to 37 MB. I agree that it's kind of a crappy app. There is the Moto Social Networking app that can include Facebook updates - that may be better for you. Tweetdeck can also show updated wall postings, etc. And, of course, the Facebook mobile web site isn't terrible.

DELUXDroid

Reaction score
Just let it run. Killing it and restarting it will only eat up more memory, cpu and battery. I don't kill ANY apps and my Droid 3 can go for almost 3 days...

AsX0

Reaction score
Even if Android memory management is good, there is still a problem with this apps starting in the background. When they actively initialize before going to sleep, they tend to supersede programs in memory, even if those are more frequently used by you. For example Facebook or Maps started by a service can kill the browser. Of course these apps will be immediately killed again when you launch the browser and it needs memory, but the browser itself will launch slower and will have to reload pages.

OP
E

Erikbal

Reaction score
Just let it run. Killing it and restarting it will only eat up more memory, cpu and battery. I don't kill ANY apps and my Droid 3 can go for almost 3 days...

How much ram do you usually have free? I don't know if its some sort of acd or something but I like to keep my used ram below like 250mb. I just think it's stupid that since one of the FB updates it starts on its own and will sometimes take up 40+mb of ram which is completely unnecessary.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
There is no way to stop this. And there really isn't a problem with it on your phone. Just let it be. Or uninstall the app if it really bothers you.

Sent from my Droid 3 directly to YOU!

OP
E

Erikbal

Reaction score
I'm not sure what would cause the restarts. have you tried dumping the cache and reinstalling the apps? What is your Data delivery frequency set to (Settings, Battery and data manager, Data delivery, Social applications)?

What problem does this cause you (besides the irritation of seeing that it seems to have consumed RAM)?

Mine was set to push automatic, I don't know what that means so I changed it to the max amount of time. Will that make a difference?

OP
E

Erikbal

Reaction score
I think with mine the longer it runs in the ram the more it takes up. Or if I use the app for a while then I'm done and check it it's way up there. How much free ram do you have right now?

OP
E

Erikbal

Reaction score
I did what you guys suggested about data delivery notifications and all that and it hasn't made a difference so I guess I'll just have to live with it. Im curious what your guys ram is usually at...

DELUXDroid

Reaction score
I have around 80mb free usually.

My advice like I said earlier is to remove any app killers you have, reboot your phone, and LEAVE IT ALONE. Killing apps will just eat up more ram and more battery.

I use my phone heavily and I always have plenty of battery left at the end of the day.

App Killers = Bad.

If you want Facebook on your phone, then install it and LEAVE IT ALONE.

If you want to use it occasionally then either 1.) Use a browser for regular facebook or 2.) uninstall the app when you're done using it...

I don't know what else to tell you guys.

spunker88

Reaction score
Uninstall it if you don't want it running. The app wants to run all the time and give you status updates, etc. But if you are only a casual Facebook user you can just use the mobile website and not have to deal with the app.

DoctorDeDroid

Reaction score
The best part about it is that it runs constantly even though I don't have a facebook account. Frankly I think it's ridiculous piece of garbage... it never did that until the latest update but that's why it's no longer on my phone.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Htown315

Reaction score
Titanium Backup. You need the pro version to freeze apps although there are free apps that freeze I'm sure. For any rooter tibu is a must have IMO.