Shutdown-Reboot-Rinse-Repeat

WVOz1970

Reaction score
Well, OK, no rinse...

Bear with me, this is a bit lengthy to describe what's happening.

I was traveling last week and my stock Droid (FRG22D) started shutting down or rebooting at random times. Most commonly, whenever I was in the midst of typing. Happened when I would be sending an email or txt, or bringing up the phone to dial. Both soft keys and physical keys, so not isolated to one or the other.

When I got home on Saturday, I plugged it in at bedtime as usual. About two hours later it began a constant reboot cycle, giving me the M symbol, the Droid "eye" and then off and back to the M symbol. I pulled the battery and figured I'd deal with it when I got up. Sunday morning I put the battery back in and try to turn it on and get nothing. Plug in the phone, the white charge LED blips on and then off. The phone begins the reboot cycle it did the night before. Pull the plug out, phone goes off and won't power up. Battery pull, let it sit a while, put it back. Still no power. Plug in the charger and the reboot cycle starts again.

I then decided to pull the battery and plug the phone in with no battery. It boots up just fine and works like a charm. :icon_eek: Argh. I power down. re-insert battery, and boot it up... works fine, although the battery only shows 70% charge. Plug it in, it's starts charging and works fine... continues to do so all day and still is today.

All that to ask, should I bother taking it in at this point since the phone is not acting up? Will VZW even give it a look? Other question, is it possibly something wrong with the battery and not the phone? I'm still under warranty... just got the phone in May.

Thanks for reading through the lengthy post. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well, OK, no rinse...

Bear with me, this is a bit lengthy to describe what's happening.

I was traveling last week and my stock Droid (FRG22D) started shutting down or rebooting at random times. Most commonly, whenever I was in the midst of typing. Happened when I would be sending an email or txt, or bringing up the phone to dial. Both soft keys and physical keys, so not isolated to one or the other.

When I got home on Saturday, I plugged it in at bedtime as usual. About two hours later it began a constant reboot cycle, giving me the M symbol, the Droid "eye" and then off and back to the M symbol. I pulled the battery and figured I'd deal with it when I got up. Sunday morning I put the battery back in and try to turn it on and get nothing. Plug in the phone, the white charge LED blips on and then off. The phone begins the reboot cycle it did the night before. Pull the plug out, phone goes off and won't power up. Battery pull, let it sit a while, put it back. Still no power. Plug in the charger and the reboot cycle starts again.

I then decided to pull the battery and plug the phone in with no battery. It boots up just fine and works like a charm. :icon_eek: Argh. I power down. re-insert battery, and boot it up... works fine, although the battery only shows 70% charge. Plug it in, it's starts charging and works fine... continues to do so all day and still is today.

All that to ask, should I bother taking it in at this point since the phone is not acting up? Will VZW even give it a look? Other question, is it possibly something wrong with the battery and not the phone? I'm still under warranty... just got the phone in May.

Thanks for reading through the lengthy post. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Remove any task killers you may have and virus protection. If this does not change the behavior, and it probably won't, go to your settings/privacy/Factory Data Reset. You will lose your apps and data, your paid apps will be in the market in the downloads. Anything on your SD card will not be affected.

OP
WVOz1970

WVOz1970

Reaction score
No task killers running. Haven't used one since upgrade to 2.2. Don't really like those dreaded words "Factory reset" either... but if that's what it takes.