Should I unroot my phone before froyo?

charliehal

Reaction score
I was wondering if I should unroot my phone before froyo is released next week... I don't know if it would cause a problem with the update or not. Does anybody know?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

sremex

Reaction score
You won't be able to update to 2.2 if you are rooted. So I would say, if you want to have the rooting ability stay rooted, if you want froyo, unroot.

OP
C

charliehal

Reaction score
Thanks, I wasn't sure if it auto update and jack up "my precious". I'll remove root once I hear it's out

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I wasn't sure if it auto update and jack up "my precious". I'll remove root once I hear it's out

Or you could just install froyo now since it's been available for rooted people for a while now.

Humpa

Reaction score
Froyo for the X is not available for rooted people ... yet

Also, I wouldn't put all my hopes on Froyo next week either. That's just a rumor, right? Those update rumors are a dime a dozen. I'm not saying that this particular rumor isn't a good rumor, just that it isn't official news or anything.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
OP
C

charliehal

Reaction score
Yeah good point humpa, I was thinking that too. I guess once I hear it's out from the community, I'll unroot. Thanks for the replies everyone.

addroidx

Reaction score
You won't be able to update to 2.2 if you are rooted. So I would say, if you want to have the rooting ability stay rooted, if you want froyo, unroot.

How exactly do you know this? Since 2.2 hasn't started rolling out yet...

Maybe 2.2 will install and kill root, maybe 2.2 will install and leave root or maybe 2.2 will not install with root. We will find out when it rolls out. :)

Humpa

Reaction score

Maybe 2.2 will install and kill root, maybe 2.2 will install and leave root or maybe 2.2 will not install with root. We will find out when it rolls out. :)
If you've rooted and done nothing else, I suspect the OTA will work just fine (and kill root, of course).

If you've renamed some apk's that can only be renamed with root, then depending on what apk you've renamed, the OTA might come over the air but fail to install.

But you are right - we just don't know 100% until the OTA gets released.

sremex

Reaction score

I know this because that how rooting works. You can not install an ota and remain rooted. You can't even install an ota while you are rooted and that is that.

Humpa

Reaction score

I know this because that how rooting works. You can not install an ota and remain rooted. You can't even install an ota while you are rooted and that is that.
I thought people who rooted before installing the 604 OTA could still install the OTA, they just had to reroot afterwards.

addroidx

Reaction score

I thought people who rooted before installing the 604 OTA could still install the OTA, they just had to reroot afterwards.

What he said ----^. They got the OTA, it just wouldn't install until any removed or renamed stock software was restored. Most devs that make a ROM put something in to block OTA updates right? Why would they need to do that if having root automatically blocked OTA updates? Not trying to be a jerk, I just sort of took issue that you were (and still are) claiming something to be a fact that no one could possibly know yet.

Last edited:

xious

Reaction score
Rooting just means you get root access to the filesystem. You have to actually turn off the OTA settings in on the phone for it to not receive those updates. And to my knowledge, the files used to obtain root do nothing of the sort.

In all probability, you will be able to receive the Froyo update but you will lose root access. So I would stay rooted (cause it doesn't hurt anything) and wait for Froyo to be released. If you stay rooted, then you may be able to install Froyo before you actually get the OTA update notification. The community will probably have it available to download and you just use clockworkmod recovery to install it. If you remove your root access, then you'll be at the mercy of the OTA.

X