Root, then froyo or froyo, then root?

Venable

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'd like to go from 2.1 on an unrooted phone to 2.2 on a rooted phone. As far as I know, there isn't a one-step method for this, so I'll either have to root and then add Froyo or add Froyo and then root.

Is one path substantially more difficult than the other? The RootzWiki method of rooting, then moving to Froyo looks simple enough, and is pretty clearly spelled out, so I was planning to do it that way. Any reason not to in terms of ease of implementation?

Also, does one path or the other carry any advantages in terms of what I'll be able to do when I'm done (e.g. hotspot), moving from the leaked Froyo to the official version when the latter comes out, or other potential problems or complications down the road?

Many thanks.

PS - Droid X with 2.1-updated on Windows 7.

liferefugee

Reaction score
*Edited for misunderstanding* I would say backup your current state, go to 2.2, then root since rooting at 2.1 then going to 2.2 will still require you to reroot at 2.2 (my understanding at least).

Last edited:

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
you can keep root from 2.1 to 2.2 if you do it right.. (method in my sig named: "ROOTED")

debaucher

Reaction score
Try to keep root going from 2.1 to 2.2 but if you loose root it is super easy to re-root on 2.2 using the droid2 method.

D.

cleopete

Reaction score
Try to keep root going from 2.1 to 2.2 but if you loose root it is super easy to re-root on 2.2 using the droid2 method.

D.

I used Easy Root to good effect. Anybody try using it with the leak?

Prime21

Reaction score
I think I'am going to wait for the offically update, then try rooting the phone. Afraid I'll brick the phone so I'll want it backed up.