Should I get the Droid?

luckmylife

Reaction score
Hello! I'm new to the forum so I thought I'd post my first thread in the introduction. I do not (yet) own the Motorola Droid and keep torturing myself by watching videos and going through this forum and reading the things all you lucky Droid owners say about your phone. I NEED YOUR ADVICE! I still have a year on my Verizon contract before I can upgrade and I currently have a BB Curve 8330 (love it but...well...Droid... need I say more?). In your opinon, is the Droid worth adding a couple years to my contract to upgrade? Or do you think I should wait it out? I've seen pictures of what is supposedly the next Droid but it doesn't look worth waiting for. Please help me... would you wait it out or add to your contract?

Newton122189

Reaction score
my dad has that blackberry and i have the droid, trust me its the best thing that will ever happen to you, its that good, in my opinion, THE BEST PHONE ON THE MARKET, even better than the iphone

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hello! I'm new to the forum so I thought I'd post my first thread in the introduction. I do not (yet) own the Motorola Droid and keep torturing myself by watching videos and going through this forum and reading the things all you lucky Droid owners say about your phone. I NEED YOUR ADVICE! I still have a year on my Verizon contract before I can upgrade and I currently have a BB Curve 8330 (love it but...well...Droid... need I say more?). In your opinon, is the Droid worth adding a couple years to my contract to upgrade? Or do you think I should wait it out? I've seen pictures of what is supposedly the next Droid but it doesn't look worth waiting for. Please help me... would you wait it out or add to your contract?

You have a 2 year contract i presume, but how long into your 2 year contract are you?

BillTheCat

Reaction score
I was only 6 months into my 2 year contract when I upgraded. They don't add 2 more years- they just re-start the counter at 2 years from the date you upgrade. And you can get the contract price before your 2 year deal is up, if they haven't ended the promotion. I paid $199, no rebates, after dialing *611 from my BB Storm & pressing zero for an operator. Worked out very nicely.

And yeah, Droid > BB 98%. BB gets a 2% win for its native e-mail & SMS/MMS clients. Droid has apps for that.

themuttt

Reaction score
@new2u

Yup 2-year contract, I'm a little over a year into it now.
I got mine by upgrading the phone on my MIL's line (on my account), that way I could keep the New Every 2 still intact for my line. I don't know if I would have bit the bullet on the Droid if I didn't have this flexibility. I will say that I like my new Droid tons more than my old Omnia, my work BB Curve, or my wife's BB Tour

OP
luckmylife

luckmylife

Reaction score
Alright, I can't take it anymore. I feel like I'm going behind my BB Curve's back, but I'm gonna go get a Droid tomorrow :) I'll let ya'll know how I like it. Thank you so much for your input!

Takami826

Reaction score
I had a curve... was hestitant, too... did my research, made my decision... now I keep having this vision of myself taking my curve in one hand, the droid in the other... looking back and forth and tossing the curve over my shoulder... BUT I'm hoping maybe there's a way to 'wipe' it and find someone who wants a curve so I can recoup a few $

Do your research... allow yourself some transition, it was cumbersome for me the first day but I am so glad I stuck it out... this thing (the droid) is a monster compared to the dainty little crackberry LOL

OP
luckmylife

luckmylife

Reaction score
now I keep having this vision of myself taking my curve in one hand, the droid in the other... looking back and forth and tossing the curve over my shoulder...

That's how I feel but in my "vision" my BB is scowling at me with arms crossed and I'm apologizing profusively for cheating.

Takami826

Reaction score
now I keep having this vision of myself taking my curve in one hand, the droid in the other... looking back and forth and tossing the curve over my shoulder...

That's how I feel but in my "vision" my BB is scowling at me with arms crossed and I'm apologizing profusively for cheating.

HAHAHAHA :icon_ devil:

find it a good home, everyone will feel better :)

OP
luckmylife

luckmylife

Reaction score
Ok, so I went to Verizon today, all ready for a new device, and they told me to wait until the 30th because then I can upgrade one phone on my family plan for the discount price, plus twenty dollars Early Upgrade Fee. Soooo I'm now waiting for the 30th and then I will have my own Droid!

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
BUT I'm hoping maybe there's a way to 'wipe' it and find someone who wants a curve so I can recoup a few $

Sure is....

If you want to wipe all previous personal data, settings, etc.:
1. Go to Options
2. Select Security Options
3. Select General Settings
4. Hit menu key and select Wipe Handheld

OP
luckmylife

luckmylife

Reaction score
So, I found cheapy prices for the Droid, called Best Buy to make sure they matched prices, went to the store and found the mobile section. Guy comes up to help me and I show him the price to match and he says, "Well, we're not really supposed to match prices for the Droid, but ok" (I was flirting shamelessly-- I really want this phone!!!). So he whips it out (the Droid, you dirty minded people) and I'm about a foot away from my very own Droid! Then, after he gets all my info, he says I have to wait until freakin AUGUST!!! I don't get it why won't these people let me just extend my contract so I'll be with them until 2012?! This is so frustrating! I was so close... then nothing. :icon_ cry:

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I don't get it why won't these people let me just extend my contract so I'll be with them until 2012?!

Go to a corp store....talk to them...More than likely they will allow you to extend but you'll be paying $299 + $20 early upgrade for the Droid.