should i change from leaked jelly bean to OTA? Razr M

abbyying

Reaction score
I installed the leaked version of jelly bean on my razr m. everything seems ok. maybe a couple of minor issues.

is the OTA version the same? should i install the OTA version? is my only option to flash back to ICS and then update to the OTA jelly bean?

Droid Firefighter

Reaction score
Indiana (and that is close enough for the internet
Current Phone Model
S8
The ota version will/should be bug free, and run without problems on your phone. You may loose root access on your phone if you do the ota though. You need to weigh those options against each other before out decide. Now, you may have to go back to the stock ics if you want the ota because the programming will look for certain markers that could be missing from your current ROM. Hope that helps you a little bit. Good luck!

OP
A

abbyying

Reaction score
ya, i am not too concerned about rooting (i am pretty new when it comes to this stuff.. too be honest not even sure what rooting means). i have trying to force the update by asking for it on my phone (settings ->about phone-> updates) but nothing comes up. i assume this is becuase i already have the leaked version.

so, from what i understand, if i flash back to ICS i will lose all of my apps/contacts/music? ideas to avoid that? but if i do, i can then just go to settings ->about phone-> updates and the OTA update will come up.

Droid Firefighter

Reaction score
Indiana (and that is close enough for the internet
Current Phone Model
S8
All of your contacts should be backed up in your Gmail account and will reload once you sign in to your account. Apps are hit and miss when it comes to reloading. Go to the play store on our computer, sign in, then look for "my apps" or something similar and you can send your previously installed apps to your phone. Music, if purchased through the play store will be the same. If you copied it to the phone, it should be saved on the SD card so you may be OK there.

You say you aren't rooted and don't know what that is but you are running a leaked version of JB. What gives? How did you flash a new os if you aren't rooted? Finally, if you can flash back to the stock image, then you should be able to call up the update by doing what you have been trying.

OP
A

abbyying

Reaction score
THanks for the info on how to save my contacts and everything else. that does make sense.

As far as rooting. I think I am confused. Ignorant would probably be more descriptive.

Am I rooted if I uploaded the leaked version of JB? I went to How to restore your Motorola DROID RAZR M back to stock ICS from the JB leak and followed the directions. There are also instructions that I was planning on following to flash back to ICS. Am I on the right track?

http://www.phonearena.com/news/How-to-restore-your-Motorola-DROID-RAZR-M-back-to-stock_id35580

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
I installed the leaked version of jelly bean on my razr m. everything seems ok. maybe a couple of minor issues.

is the OTA version the same? should i install the OTA version? is my only option to flash back to ICS and then update to the OTA jelly bean?
Take this as a recommendation only. I would revert back to stock and take the OTA. If you break root, which you probably will, then root again. It is always a safe, in my opinion, best bet to have the latest official system version on your phone before you ROM or root. Yes, sometimes you break root, sometimes you have to reinstall apps etc, but you are far better off starting from an official update than passing over an update and getting into trouble somewhere down the line when you have to take the OTA update because of a major change or upgrade. I have witnessed many a user who passed up official updates because they had a leak and a ROM that "worked great" only to find out down the road that they had a lot of work and hassle trying to get their phone back to "stock" on the latest update. Your call, but I'd do what needed to be done to get the official OTA...then move on from there.

OP
A

abbyying

Reaction score
thanks much, I will do that. So just to confirm, I should follow the instructions from the page I refered to in my previous post? Then, settings->about phone _>updates and the OTA update will come up?

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
thanks much, I will do that. So just to confirm, I should follow the instructions from the page I refered to in my previous post? Then, settings->about phone _>updates and the OTA update will come up?
I just got finished reading the pages you referred to. Yes, if you follow those instructions you should be back to stock and setting>about phone>updates should get you to the latest OTA. You may have to go through that process (settings>about phone) a couple of times to prompt the update.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
THanks for the info on how to save my contacts and everything else. that does make sense.

As far as rooting. I think I am confused. Ignorant would probably be more descriptive.

Am I rooted if I uploaded the leaked version of JB? I went to How to restore your Motorola DROID RAZR M back to stock ICS from the JB leak and followed the directions. There are also instructions that I was planning on following to flash back to ICS. Am I on the right track?

How to restore your Motorola DROID RAZR M back to stock ICS from the JB leak
I forgot to answer your question...you are not rooted and you did not root when you installed the leaked JB system version. You simply flashed an unofficial update using RSD Lite...that is not rooting.

OP
A

abbyying

Reaction score
@jp ...or anyone.. i am stuck. I am trying to follow the instructions on the flashback to ICS website. i am having trouble getting it to work. I installed the driver and the RDS file which came up fine. When i open RDS when my phone is in flashboot mode, i cant see my phone in RSD.

that is issue #1, my second (probably silly) question.. do i install the ice cream sandwich file on my SD card or my computer? but really just stuck on the point of my phone not coming up on the RSD.