Should I buy the Galaxy Nexus?

yiannis

Reaction score
Hi,

My Bionic is showing its age: First, the headphone jack is somehow broken and unable to physically accept 3.5 mm plugs. This is a problem for me because I Skype and use the auxillary port a lot in the car. Second, as of this week, for some reason a specific link of a TV streaming network is no longer working, as the six separate browsers I have tried are crashing just after loading the flash player. Third, the phone is kind of slow and I would like the debloated ROMs and perhaps overclocking it. Finally, I intend to buy it unsubsidized (but new for VZW) to maintain my unlimited data plan. I can find it brand new at $350 on ebay.

Is it worth it or should I wait for Q4 phones, which will be much more expensive. On above parameters, is it going to provide a good upgrade? I'm thinking that even if I wait for the new phones their unsubsidized prices are going to be too high. I do use my phone a lot...

Thanks!

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
Worth is totally subjective. There is no way we can properly answer this question. You need to determine what the new device can do that your current device can't, what the new device can do better, and also possibly what the new device can't do that the previous device could. You then need to figure out if those are worth the price of admission.

It has a larger, higher definition screen than your Bionic. Runs pure Android, which has been updated to Jelly Bean officially. If rumors are true, it is seeming more and more likely that the Bionic has been abandoned officially at Gingerbread. The Nexus also has an unlockable bootloader, with a large development community. The Nexus also has NFC capabilities.

Most other things are close to the same between the Bionic. The camera is a probably pretty close. The internals (CPU, GPU, and RAM) are close.

Your headphone jack should work with a new device. I have no clue why Flash/browsers would crash on a website, this may not change with the Nexus.

There is always going to be something shinier, newer, and "better" coming out in the near future. A new Nexus is looming (near the end of the year Google realeases a new Nexus), no clue if Verizon will get it, or what it will be like, there are rumors out there if you want to read them. There is the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and HTC's 5" display device coming eventually, as well as some other devices that potentially could be interesting. When these devices will hit shelves, how much they will cost, and what they will be like is all kinda unknown.

OP
Y

yiannis

Reaction score
I think my title should have said "Happy that you switched from the Bionic?" but thanks for your answer.

Fox100

Reaction score
i use to have the bionic and i really liked it it was a good phone then one day it took a **** and wouldnt turn back on i think it overheated or something but after that i got the galaxy nexus and in my opinion the SGN is way better than the bionic i love eveything about this phone best phone ive ever had i think its totally worth it but with the SGS3 out i would get that now but if your not buying it on contract thats alot of money so if your not trying to spend that much you wont be dissappointed with the galaxy nexus

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Sounds like you just need a phone to hold you over until the Q4 come out.

That being said, the Nexus is a great phone. It's weaknesses are the radios though, so if you need a consistent and strong signal it may not be for you, especially if you live in an area where your 4g signal isn't so great. However, if you do live in a strong 4g area you most likely won't notice, I don't, I get 3-4bars consistently in a 75mi radius. And you don't even really need to ask around, the Nexus has arguably the best lot of ROMs available, especially if you want your jellybean fix.:p

Check out Swappa or Craigslist, don't think Nexus phones are that expensive.

wvdroidman

Reaction score
I will second the signal issues. I noticed the second I took it out of the box and turned it on that the signal was a big problem. Jellybean helped but I'm still not getting 4g like my thunderbolt used to. About ready to send this phone back unfortunately, unless I can fix the signal issue.

OP
Y

yiannis

Reaction score
Hmm, my bionic often drops data despite being in downtown Baltimore, a very strong LTE neighborhood.

wvdroidman

Reaction score
I'm just upset my thunderbolt and my fiance's pantec breakout both get better reception.

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Worth is totally subjective. There is no way we can properly answer this question. You need to determine what the new device can do that your current device can't, what the new device can do better, and also possibly what the new device can't do that the previous device could. You then need to figure out if those are worth the price of admission.

It has a larger, higher definition screen than your Bionic. Runs pure Android, which has been updated to Jelly Bean officially. If rumors are true, it is seeming more and more likely that the Bionic has been abandoned officially at Gingerbread. The Nexus also has an unlockable bootloader, with a large development community. The Nexus also has NFC capabilities.

Most other things are close to the same between the Bionic. The camera is a probably pretty close. The internals (CPU, GPU, and RAM) are close.

Your headphone jack should work with a new device. I have no clue why Flash/browsers would crash on a website, this may not change with the Nexus.

There is always going to be something shinier, newer, and "better" coming out in the near future. A new Nexus is looming (near the end of the year Google realeases a new Nexus), no clue if Verizon will get it, or what it will be like, there are rumors out there if you want to read them. There is the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and HTC's 5" display device coming eventually, as well as some other devices that potentially could be interesting. When these devices will hit shelves, how much they will cost, and what they will be like is all kinda unknown.
To the OP,do your homework bro.Cupfulloflol,if that 5"HTC turns out to be a Nexus,God Im on it like wht on rice.