Should I buy RAZR over RAZR Maxx if cheap?

Lars

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I understand the convenience of extended battery on the Maxx, but I have never had an issue with the battery on my Razr. A typical day, my phone is off the charger at 8AM (when I get to school or work) and it lasts until 9:30-10PM with anywhere from 5% to 40% battery depending on my day. I would guess my usage is pretty average. Heavy on facebook, browsing, and checking emails. I don't take a lot of pictures, and sporadically play puzzle games. I am also pretty evenly mixed between 4G and wifi. I received an external battery pack with my phone, and I keep it on me in case of emergencies, but have yet to need it.

Both prices are great, so I would think about your usage and decide if the standard battery will be sufficient (Razr) or if you will need more (Maxx).

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
2 Razr for $85 or 2 Maxx for $300. That's over a $200 difference. If it was me, I would make the decision based on how convenient it was for me to charge my phone at any given time. I already have a car charger and already have a compatible spare charger that I can keep at work. Very seldom, if at all, would I ever be where I can't charge my phone...so I would definitely be jumping on the Razr. But if I had to go out and buy the car charger or if I was in a situation where it was too difficult to charge my phone (in classes all day, etc), then I might go for the Maxx.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
How about support? Since the RAZR and the RAZR Maxx are basically the same...will the RAZR get updates at the same time the Maxx does? Or do you think Verizon is just going to screw over RAZR users?

They update at the same time. At least they have been.

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

Right. The two phones appear identical to the Verizon & Motorola servers.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2 with Google voice to text translation. Please excuse any minor spelling, punctuation, capitalization or grammatical errors.

Sectime

Reaction score
In a way I wish I would've gotten the Maxx, but this phone charges so slowly anyway, the Maxx would take forever! Thats my only complaint. I wouldn't see where you couldn't make it at least a full day on a regular Razr
Are you charging off factory 110v charger or aftermarket usb or off a computer? My Razr goes from 10% to full charge in about one hour.

MysticalDreams

Reaction score
IL for now... waiting for the day we can move back
Current Phone Model
Note 8!!
The Razrs are a good price, 2 Maxx's for 300 is a good deal too. What it would come down to for me is the feel of the phone in my hand. There is a different feeling as the maxx is thicker it felt stronger to me. Also if you keep your phone in your pocket I think the maxx is less bendy. It would be hard to pass up the price of the Razr's but you also need to be happy with your choice, with that in mind I would hold them and go from there.

laurenjones93

Reaction score
I have the regular razr and have awesome battery. But i have never had ptoblems with my battery. If u are all about downloads, apps, and games that could be an issue.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Are you charging off factory 110v charger or aftermarket usb or off a computer? My Razr goes from 10% to full charge in about one hour.

Factory wall charger. Its faster on a custom rom, but still slow

ryanr509

Reaction score
I can usually make it through a 10 hour day with around 20% left which kinda sucks if I was to go to the bar or to do something for 3,4, or 5 hours my phone would be dead. If I had the Maxx at 40-50% left at the end of my day that'd be awesome. To me 2mm of thickness is worth 1.75 times the battery life. I'd rather have a thicker charged phone then a thin dead one. Have u ever bought something and wished u would have saved the $100 dollars and bought something else? I haven't its just money u will make more on the next check. This next phone is what u will live with for the next 2 years might as well get the best available as I highly doubt u will regret a few hundred dollars over the next 2 years

Last edited:

Zandar

Reaction score
It's all about value: what's the value to you? I have a RAZR and my wife does, too (both non-Maxx). We both love our phones and get great battery life. My wife, for instance, runs on 3G only (unless she's tethering) and gets about a day and a half. I run on mainly 4G and get a solid day (about half and half 4G/3G). The battery life for the OG RAZR is by no means poor; compared to the Galaxy Nexu sand HTC Rezound (both on the stock battery), it's pretty darned good. It's just not RAZR Maxx good. If you need all day usage on 4G, you need a Maxx. If not, the RAZR is a very capable phone and will do very well for you if you do a couple of tweaks (look around on the forums for about a thousand suggestions and personal stories).

As far as the deal, 2 for $85 is not bad. Reminds me of my OG Droids; got one for me and one for the missus for $80 a short while after they were released.

That said, there are better deals if you're opting for a new plan. If you're being grandfathered into unlimited or something it may not be the best, but otherwise Amazon has some killer deals. Right now, if you're starting a new plan, you can get 2 RAZRs for $0.01 each.
AmazonWireless: Motorola DROID RAZR 4G Android Phone, Black 16GB (Verizon Wireless)

lovemyram4x4

Reaction score
Sectime said:

I wonder if your battery meter is off & you're not using that much of the charge. All 4 of my Razrs have taken about 2hr on the 750mA wall chargers with phone off. Just the other night it took quite a bit longer, it reached 90% in about a normal amount of time but then took about 1hr for the last 10%.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forum Runner

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
I wonder if your battery meter is off & you're not using that much of the charge. All 4 of my Razrs have taken about 2hr on the 750mA wall chargers with phone off. Just the other night it took quite a bit longer, it reached 90% in about a normal amount of time but then took about 1hr for the last 10%.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forum Runner

I hope not. Its only 3 days old and I calibrated using foxkats instructions.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Caesars

Reaction score
I have to admit something really dumb but......when I got my maxx, I knew the battery wasn't removable. When I was considering the razr I assumed it had a removable battery...I chose the maxx because I could obox an Android with an extended battery Lol. The THOUGHT of an Android phone with a normal battery that you can't replace with a spare makes me cry a little inside lol.

tech_head

Silver Member
Reaction score
The manager at our local Verizon store has offered us what I think is a really good deal on 2 RAZR phones. He says he can give us 2 RAZRs for $185 with a $100 MIR (so 2 for $85 after MIR). If we wanted RAZR Maxx instead it would be $295 (for 2 phones with no MIR).

What do you guys think? I know the RAZR and the RAZR Maxx are basically identical except for the battery and form factor. Is the battery in the RAZR sufficient that we should just go for it since its such a good deal? Or should we consider something else completely like the Nexus?

The problem is not plugging it in everyday.
With a Razr sometimes it's after 6 hours. So far with my Maxx I always have some charge left at the end of the day.
Is it worth $100 per phone? I'd say yes, but YMMV.
I used an alternate line upgrade to get rid of a Razr for a Maxx. I sold the Razr on eBay and it paid for the Maxx. Once again YMMV but I wouldn't go back to a regular Razr after now having a Maxx.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have to admit something really dumb but......when I got my maxx, I knew the battery wasn't removable. When I was considering the razr I assumed it had a removable battery...I chose the maxx because I could obox an Android with an extended battery Lol. The THOUGHT of an Android phone with a normal battery that you can't replace with a spare makes me cry a little inside lol.

I'm kinda worried about that. Especially since this phone's battery is already so janky