ShapeWriter on replacement droid

rustinq

Reaction score
I just got my replacement droid from verizon and using my backup it did not restore ShapeWriter. Now i know that it isnt on the market I am stuck. Swype isnt on the market either. What can I do? I am having a hard time going old school on the keyboard. Is there any way to download and install ShapeWriter without it being on the market?

Reaction score

I just got my replacement droid from verizon and using my backup it did not restore ShapeWriter. Now i know that it isnt on the market I am stuck. Swype isnt on the market either. What can I do? I am having a hard time going old school on the keyboard. Is there any way to download and install ShapeWriter without it being on the market?

Wow? I had no idea shapewriter isn't on the market anymore. Thanks for telling me. I have it installed, but it is being buggy with me right now. I'll see if I can figure out what happened.

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Shapewriter's dev took it off indefinately. You're going to need to find someone with the .apk, or use Swype (I like Swype better)

Reaction score

Here is your answer bro, they took it off the market for an indefinite period of time. Here is their forum link to why it was off the market:

ShapeWriter Forum • View topic - ShapeWriter off the Android Market

I hate to keep on adding on to my own posts, but I just found something else. Apparently a new company picked up the shapewriter keyboard app. This company is called nuance. And their website is at: Speech Recognition, PDF Converter & OCR Solutions - Nuance is a leading provider of speech and imaging solutions for businesses and consumers around the world.

wingsabr

Reaction score
or use Swype (I like Swype better)

I cant find Swype in the market place. It looks like it is only available for Beta testers and the beta is closed...???? Any other ideas?

(mods delete if inappropriate)

you could do a google search for shapewriter apk and see what you come up with.

I didn't put the link because not sure how that would fly around here, but google is your friend.

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
shapewriter was in the market, and they basically told everyone to upgrade so to a version without an expiration because they were no longer going to be developing it. if you can find a copy of it, it's fair game. it was never a paid app and never intended to be kept under wraps.. it's kinda like if an old car breaks down and you don't want to deal with it any more, you just sign the title and leave it in the glove box and walk away.. i really like shapewriter. if you can find that, i think you would be impressed.

wingsabr

Reaction score
shapewriter was in the market, and they basically told everyone to upgrade so to a version without an expiration because they were no longer going to be developing it. if you can find a copy of it, it's fair game. it was never a paid app and never intended to be kept under wraps.. it's kinda like if an old car breaks down and you don't want to deal with it any more, you just sign the title and leave it in the glove box and walk away.. i really like shapewriter. if you can find that, i think you would be impressed.
Thank you Sam for reviewing and giving the droid stamp o' approval.

After using and reviewing both swype and shapewriter, I can confidently say that I like shapewriter better. The difference for me is the interface and selectability of multiple words when it doesn't know what I typed. Shapewriter recognizes my swipes better and suggests words that match what I typed 99% of the time. The other 1% is usually me swiping wrong.

drdave

Reaction score
Shapewriter's new owners

Nuance Inc. admits (after talking to three techies there) that it owns Shapewriter now. "If you want to get it, get it from the company that sold you your phone." This seems to mean that Nuance is trying to market it to....Verizon? Apple? Who knows.

Pinkigirl

Reaction score
have the shapewriter apk file

Hello

I have the program file for shapewriter I'm just not sure how to install it back onto my phone after I had it replaced today can anyone help me out?

Jester6x

Reaction score
Shapewriter's dev took it off indefinately. You're going to need to find someone with the .apk, or use Swype (I like Swype better)

Titans,
I've tried swype but I get terrible battery drain with it. My normal keyboard never goes above 4% of and swype can be anywhere from 7-19%. What are you getting for battery usage from it?

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

Titans,
I've tried swype but I get terrible battery drain with it. My normal keyboard never goes above 4% of and swype can be anywhere from 7-19%. What are you getting for battery usage from it?

Two to four percent when it shows up at all. Do you send a lot of text messages?

Jester6x

Reaction score
I send between 30-50 a day. I am running bb v0.3 and using handcent. Wondering if that's an issue. Almost like my phone isn't sleeping properly when I have it installed.