Several miscellaneous issues

Big Ry

Reaction score
I've had my G2 now for about a month. I've discovered some possible glitches/defects, and I wanted to see if anyone else experienced the same or has a remedy.

1. Text thread scrolling: sometimes when I get a text, I open the conversation thread to reply and its scrolled all the way to the top. It doesn't physically scroll when I open it, it just opens to that location. It definitely happens when my one roommate texts me, but I think it has happened with others. It seems to only happen when I receive a new text. I can't reproduce the issue by just going into the thread as is.

2. MMS texts: I just received a short 1 line text from the aforementioned roommate. In my text list (showing all texts from everyone), I see the preview with maybe 4-5 words. When I open the thread, his last message is blank. The message details say it's an MMS, but it never loads. I have full LTE now too. Opening the thread in hangouts also produces a blank MMS. It's so odd that I get the preview in the messages list.

3. Crackling during calls: I don't make many calls, but I've had a few where there is a crackling sound in the ear piece. It's definitely not every call, but it has happened a number of times with different people.

4. Proximity sensor: on a couple occasions, I wasn't able to get the screen to turn back on when pulling the phone away mid-call. I don't recall what I we trying to do while in the call, but I couldn't even turn it on with the power button. If I remember correctly, I was using an app when it happened one time, though I don't remember which app.

5. Double tap screen-on: This is probably just a fluke, but it drives me nuts. Sometimes I have to tap the screen like 5-7 times to get it to turn on. The other times it magically turns on when I'm slipping the device into my pocket or holding it.

6. GPS location: I'm having the same issue with GPS location that I did on my galaxy nexus. Sometimes it'll give an accurate location, other times it places me 4 blocks away. My GN was way worse, but this is not good by any means. It usually relocates closer after I few seconds, but it's still a little off. It becomes a problem when using GPS because it thinks I magically drop off the interstate to some side road nearby. I live in the heart of Baltimore, but not near tall buildings. I wonder if it's just this area? Wi-Fi doesn't seem to help either.

7. Polarized sunglasses: If you haven't realized yet, the screen tech in the G2 is such that the light emissions are blocked by polarized sunglasses. Very annoying because I can't see my GPS on sunny days. And no it's not "just dimmer". At 100% brightness, I could see nothing on the screen when using my GPS mid-day. When I pulled the phone off the car mount, I could definitely make out the images on the screen, but they were reduced in brightness by beyond 99%. It's just not possible to use the phone with polarized sunglasses.

8. Lag: I'm actually having a little lag doing mundane typical phone stuff, i.e., nothing resource intensive like games. I find myself having to force close apps and clear the cache on a regular basis. I was really hoping the snapdragon 800 and 2gb ram would make it like butter.

9. Swiping sucks: I just added this after having to edit this post 3 times due to autocorrect issues. Its just way off sometimes...not even close on some words. I had the same issue on vanilla 4.3 keyboard and Swype on my galaxy nexus. I swore it was the GN screen, but now it's happening on the g2. For reference, back when Swype was in beta, it worked beautifully on my droid.

10. The keyboard recognizes "cancelled" as a word by default, but then it flags it as being misspelled lol. The word is NOT in my personal dictionary. I know both spellings are correct, but it's just kind of ridiculous lol

11. Data usage: I discovered last night that the OS appears to be sucking a ton of data. My billing cycle is almost up, and I've used almost 15gb. Thats unusually high for me, so I checked the app usage. Android OS used over 10gb this month. I have never seen the OS use even close to 1gb before. It seems to be increasing linearly, so something is causing the OS to gobble data every day. There oddly was a large spike on black Friday ~1gb. I've disabled a few apps, mostly Verizon apps, but I would think that would only help data usage. I have unlimited data, so it's not costing me anything, but I do fear about Verizon throttling me. Also, that much data usage has to be affecting performance. Any ideas?

I will likely amend this post, because I know there are other issues I'm forgetting. Anyone experience any of these?

Tapped from my G2

Last edited:

MotoXGirl

Reaction score
FoxKat is really good with this sort of stuff! Ill see if I can find him. He should be able to answer all these questions for you!

comk4ver

Reaction score
Tony thing I noticed was a flicking of the screen but it was resolved when I downgraded/rooted the firmware back to the original firmware (A). It's great now. Yes, the knock on feature is a bit glitchy.
Edit: never mind it's back.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I've had my G2 now for about a month. I've discovered some possible glitches/defects, and I wanted to see if anyone else experienced the same or has a remedy.

1. Text thread scrolling: sometimes when I get a text, I open the conversation thread to reply and its scrolled all the way to the top. It doesn't physically scroll when I open it, it just opens to that location. It definitely happens when my one roommate texts me, but I think it has happened with others. It seems to only happen when I receive a new text. I can't reproduce the issue by just going into the thread as is.

2. MMS texts: I just received a short 1 line text from the aforementioned roommate. In my text list (showing all texts from everyone), I see the preview with maybe 4-5 words. When I open the thread, his last message is blank. The message details say it's an MMS, but it never loads. I have full LTE now too. Opening the thread in hangouts also produces a blank MMS. It's so odd that I get the preview in the messages list.

3. Crackling during calls: I don't make many calls, but I've had a few where there is a crackling sound in the ear piece. It's definitely not every call, but it has happened a number of times with different people.

4. Proximity sensor: on a couple occasions, I wasn't able to get the screen to turn back on when pulling the phone away mid-call. I don't recall what I we trying to do while in the call, but I couldn't even turn it on with the power button. If I remember correctly, I was using an app when it happened one time, though I don't remember which app.

5. Double tap screen-on: This is probably just a fluke, but it drives me nuts. Sometimes I have to tap the screen like 5-7 times to get it to turn on. The other times it magically turns on when I'm slipping the device into my pocket or holding it.

6. GPS location: I'm having the same issue with GPS location that I did on my galaxy nexus. Sometimes it'll give an accurate location, other times it places me 4 blocks away. My GN was way worse, but this is not good by any means. It usually relocates closer after I few seconds, but it's still a little off. It becomes a problem when using GPS because it thinks I magically drop off the interstate to some side road nearby. I live in the heart of Baltimore, but not near tall buildings. I wonder if it's just this area? Wi-Fi doesn't seem to help either.

7. Polarized sunglasses: If you haven't realized yet, the screen tech in the G2 is such that the light emissions are blocked by polarized sunglasses. Very annoying because I can't see my GPS on sunny days. And no it's not "just dimmer". At 100% brightness, I could see nothing on the screen when using my GPS mid-day. When I pulled the phone off the car mount, I could definitely make out the images on the screen, but they were reduced in brightness by beyond 99%. It's just not possible to use the phone with polarized sunglasses.

8. Lag: I'm actually having a little lag doing mundane typical phone stuff, i.e., nothing resource intensive like games. I find myself having to force close apps and clear the cache on a regular basis. I was really hoping the snapdragon 800 and 2gb ram would make it like butter.

9. Swiping sucks: I just added this after having to edit this post 3 times due to autocorrect issues. Its just way off sometimes...not even close on some words. I had the same issue on vanilla 4.3 keyboard and Swype on my galaxy nexus. I swore it was the GN screen, but now it's happening on the g2. For reference, back when Swype was in beta, it worked beautifully on my droid.

10. The keyboard recognizes "cancelled" as a word by default, but then it flags it as being misspelled lol. The word is NOT in my personal dictionary. I know both spellings are correct, but it's just kind of ridiculous lol

I will likely amend this post, because I know there are other issues I'm forgetting. Anyone experience any of these?

Tapped from my G2

Can't answer one and two, but;

3) Is the "crackling" during the loudest portions of the conversation? If so, it's distortion and causes the speaker to vibrate creating the crackling sound. It's a characteristic of two things....manufacturers trying to get more sound out of a tiny that's just not engineered for those levels of audio input, and the end-user turning the speaker volume all the way up. Back down the volume one or two clicks and you may see the crackling sound is gone.

4) Do you have a screen protector on the phone, or did you leave in place the one that was placed on it from the factory to protect it during shipping and handling? It seems that some screen protectors actually "fool" the proximity sensor into thinking something is in front of it within the detectable range. This was the case with my S4 and my Droid MAXX. I couldn't end calls, couldn't hit numeric keypad to select menus, couldn't do anything until after the party on the other end hung up. I couldn't even use the power button to get it to light up. I tried a sensor testing app off of the Play Store and found that it only detected my finger in front of the sensor sometimes and other times it didn't. I removed the screen protector, cut out a small U shaped area just over the sensor, replaced it and the sensor worked 100% of the time.

5) Double-tap actually requires a bit of force. I use my knuckle of a bent finger instead and hit it like I'm knocking on a door...works every time.

6) You need to make sure that you have Cellular location AND WiFI location on together. The device and system use nearby cellular towers in conjunction with nearby WIFI signals - both closed and open networks, to triangulate you and enhance the GPS location.

7) Polarization of the screens on these phones is far more prevalent and is being used to enhance visibility in both direct sun and on overcast days outdoors. Unfortunately put two polarized lenses in series with each other and unless they are both polarized to the same angle (i.e. both landscape for instance), one will cancel out nearly all the light the other lets through. Try this next time...turn the phone sideways with the glasses and you will see the screen magically appear. Next turn the phone back to normal and take off the glasses, twist them 90 degrees and hold one lens in front of an eye while you rotate it between horizontal and vertical...you will see the screen fade from full brightness to nearly black and back.

8) Lag can be caused by lots of things, but most often by things sync'ing and running in the background. Force closing apps only adds to the problem since often those apps self-start again and suck down system resources while getting fully back up and running. Try limiting the number of widgets, background sync's and multi-tasking you are doing and the lag should resolve. Also, it's a good idea to restart the phone each morning. This lets it clear out all remaining tidbits of useless information in caches and RAM and start with a fresh new OS, just like restarting Windows does wonders for lag.

9) I'm not having any issues with Swype, and actually love it. I do also often use Google's voice to text translation and find it amazingly accurate, but more important lets me text with friends while driving and never look away from the street.

10) That's just weird. You've checked to see if the word is in your personal dictionary so I don't know what to say other than that they need to update the algorithm.

Good luck with the suggestions above and hope you get answers to all your questions.

Thanks MotoXGirl for bringing this post to my attention! I am always out there trying to help everyone I can, but it certainly makes it easier when there's a second set of eyes... :blush:

Neupy

Reaction score
I honestly think knock don't work sometimes because you don't actually have the phone in your hand. When it's sitting on my table it's sometimes sketchy. When I'm holding it it's 100%.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Actually when it's in my hands is when I have more trouble.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

OP
Big Ry

Big Ry

Reaction score
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2544985

Check this thread for info on how to fix the crackling sound during calls...it worked for me

Sent from my VERIZON LG G2

Good looking, man. This appears to have solved the issue. Oddly, the settings didn't save the first time around, but they stuck the second time. I called my bank's automated system before and after the fix, and the crackling went away

Tapped from my G2

OP
Big Ry

Big Ry

Reaction score
Can't answer one and two, but;

3) Is the "crackling" during the loudest portions of the conversation? If so, it's distortion and causes the speaker to vibrate creating the crackling sound. It's a characteristic of two things....manufacturers trying to get more sound out of a tiny that's just not engineered for those levels of audio input, and the end-user turning the speaker volume all the way up. Back down the volume one or two clicks and you may see the crackling sound is gone.

4) Do you have a screen protector on the phone, or did you leave in place the one that was placed on it from the factory to protect it during shipping and handling? It seems that some screen protectors actually "fool" the proximity sensor into thinking something is in front of it within the detectable range. This was the case with my S4 and my Droid MAXX. I couldn't end calls, couldn't hit numeric keypad to select menus, couldn't do anything until after the party on the other end hung up. I couldn't even use the power button to get it to light up. I tried a sensor testing app off of the Play Store and found that it only detected my finger in front of the sensor sometimes and other times it didn't. I removed the screen protector, cut out a small U shaped area just over the sensor, replaced it and the sensor worked 100% of the time.

5) Double-tap actually requires a bit of force. I use my knuckle of a bent finger instead and hit it like I'm knocking on a door...works every time.

6) You need to make sure that you have Cellular location AND WiFI location on together. The device and system use nearby cellular towers in conjunction with nearby WIFI signals - both closed and open networks, to triangulate you and enhance the GPS location.

7) Polarization of the screens on these phones is far more prevalent and is being used to enhance visibility in both direct sun and on overcast days outdoors. Unfortunately put two polarized lenses in series with each other and unless they are both polarized to the same angle (i.e. both landscape for instance), one will cancel out nearly all the light the other lets through. Try this next time...turn the phone sideways with the glasses and you will see the screen magically appear. Next turn the phone back to normal and take off the glasses, twist them 90 degrees and hold one lens in front of an eye while you rotate it between horizontal and vertical...you will see the screen fade from full brightness to nearly black and back.

8) Lag can be caused by lots of things, but most often by things sync'ing and running in the background. Force closing apps only adds to the problem since often those apps self-start again and suck down system resources while getting fully back up and running. Try limiting the number of widgets, background sync's and multi-tasking you are doing and the lag should resolve. Also, it's a good idea to restart the phone each morning. This lets it clear out all remaining tidbits of useless information in caches and RAM and start with a fresh new OS, just like restarting Windows does wonders for lag.

9) I'm not having any issues with Swype, and actually love it. I do also often use Google's voice to text translation and find it amazingly accurate, but more important lets me text with friends while driving and never look away from the street.

10) That's just weird. You've checked to see if the word is in your personal dictionary so I don't know what to say other than that they need to update the algorithm.

Good luck with the suggestions above and hope you get answers to all your questions.

Thanks MotoXGirl for bringing this post to my attention! I am always out there trying to help everyone I can, but it certainly makes it easier when there's a second set of eyes... :blush:
Thanks for the input, FoxKat!

3. It was definitely not a distortion, but it has now been fixed by the method posted above.

4. I never use screen protectors. I suspect it had something to do with the app I was using when I received the calls...most likely Google music and/or navi. If I can replicate the issue, I'll take note of what I was doing prior to the call.

On a related note, I found a galaxy S4 sitting outside my house last night. FYI, I live 1/2 block from the bars in canton square...no explanation for a lost phone is needed lol. I was trying to locate the owner by bypassing the lock screen using the glitch trick from 4.1 (that glitch has apparently been fixed). In dialing numbers on the emergency dialer, I noticed its proximity sensor was quite sensitive. If I got my finger too close to the top where the sensor is, the screen would shut off. I don't think I was having the same issue on my G2, but I'll still check when the problem arises again. And the owner has been reunited with his S4. He was elated and very thankful lol

5. Yeah, I think it's just a little glitchy as mentioned by others. May just need some refinement by LG.

6. That's what I meant when I said I used WiFi...WiFi, GPS, and mobile network were all active. Typically I just use the network and GPS, because I don't use WiFi at home. I saw no difference using WiFi. I wonder if it's just Baltimore, but that just seems nearly impossible. I get great signal strength, so there must be enough towers. I'm not near tall buildings while on the interstate, and I wouldn't think GPS would somehow be worse in a particular geographic location, especially in such a densely populated area of the country.

7. Yeah, but who uses navi in portrait? I can't stand it that way, and my mount is setup for landscape. You'd think they'd orient the slots in the other direction, to coincide with polarized lenses. But I guess that assumes all polarized lenses have their slots oriented in the same direction. I do not know if there is some standard for sunglasses, and I do not even own a second pair to test. The increased visibility is nice, but I'd rather be able to use my navi with sunglasses on.

8. I respectfully disagree with you here. I think the idea that android regulates memory usage by limiting resources used by running apps is largely a myth. I mean, I'm sure there is something in the coding for the OS for such a process, but I don't think it works properly at all. And although some apps will reboot after force closing them, the performance is always vastly improved in my experience. Every android device I've ever owned has been the same. It starts getting sluggish when I've got numerous apps loaded but not actively running. Its annoying to always have to force close apps and clear the cache, but it works every time on every device I've owned. I guess the up side to the G2 is that clearing the recents actually force closes those apps. In vanilla android, I found that clearing recents didn't actually force close many apps. I had to manually do it in the settings. The G2s cache wipe widget is nice too. As far as widgets go, I use only a few and also experience the same problems with no widgets. I was expecting to not have to use this process as frequently with 2gb ram, but I'm not really seeing much improvement. In fact, something (likely in the OS or LG skin) is hogging a lot of memory. If I force close all apps, there is still only 1-1.5gb of available ram. On my gnex, it would be down to 200-300mb being used. So it seems like they basically boosted the ram only to steal most of it for their own use.

9. I've also found the voice to text to be pretty accurate (after some tweaking by Google), but I don't use it much. I thought Google keyboard had sensitivity settings for autocorrect, but I don't see any such settings on the LG keyboard.

10. Like I said, not a problem, just kinda funny lol

I added another newly discovered issue above if you could possibly help. Thanks again.

Tapped from my G2

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Excellent.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk