Settings>about phone>software update...

pistacio

Reaction score
When I check the above on my D3, it instantly says "check for update unavailable at this time". I'm rooted, wifi radio hack, renamed bloat.

On my GF's D3, I do the same and it goes through the motions with the blur loading symbol after 15-30 seconds it says, "your device is up to date". This phone is stock, no root. We both have same software version.

I'm pretty sure I didn't rename any bloat that has to do with the update, just not sure why my message is different...? Any input? Possibly the radio hack?

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums App

buckmarble

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
When I check the above on my D3, it instantly says "check for update unavailable at this time". I'm rooted, wifi radio hack, renamed bloat.

On my GF's D3, I do the same and it goes through the motions with the blur loading symbol after 15-30 seconds it says, "your device is up to date". This phone is stock, no root. We both have same software version.

I'm pretty sure I didn't rename any bloat that has to do with the update, just not sure why my message is different...? Any input? Possibly the radio hack?

This happened to me as well, I restored all the bloat and the system update check worked just fine after that, so its something that got renamed/removed. I have the radio hack going and its working fine for me.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

OP
pistacio

pistacio

Reaction score
Thanks buck, but after renaming them back, powering off, battery pull, and restart, it still does the same. I'm going to re-check the bloat again.

Its no big deal, just my OCD kicking in. I guess I just won't get the "official" OTA if I can't get it resolved.

mrcastillo

Reaction score

if ur not on wifi i think it would say "check for update unavailable at this time". once ur on wifi it will say up to date

OP
pistacio

pistacio

Reaction score
Mrcastillo...I understand that, just checked for the hell of it, lol. That's not my problem though. I was just curious why I was getting a different message between two different phones.

...Resolved (somewhat):
I turned wifi on, connected to a network, then it finally did the same thing as my GF's phone when checking for update (it actually checked). Weird because my 3G signal was fine, I had both phones side-by-side, both on 3G and her's still went thru and mine didn't. I'll leave the bloat on for now...

Edit, posted before you replied with the wifi comment mrcastillo.

mrcastillo

Reaction score
the update wont dowload on 3g cause of the instability on downloads the file can get corrupted . thats why it wont do it

OP
pistacio

pistacio

Reaction score
the update wont dowload on 3g cause of the instability on downloads the file can get corrupted . thats why it wont do it

Why would my GF's D3 allow it on 3G and not mine?...just sayin'. I hear you though...

Without beating this topic too much, I smell a conspiracy, lol. I just read my vzw bill and there's a notice on the back...quick summary, those who use too much data will be throttled, basically. I'm thinking I'm in the higher percentile (I'm using 2.5gb/month at most) and have been throttled, therefore, not allowing me to check for an update on 3G (because of the large file size). Maybe...? Just thinking out loud.