setting up e-mail from personal website

segen77

Reaction score
I'm not sure where to post this, or even if my question is too complicated. Here's the scenario. I have recently purchased a domain name, and want to setup an e-mail address for this domain name. I do not yet have a website, or anything else setup for this other than owning the name, and purchasing through direct nic (if that matters).

What do I need to do to setup this e-mail address properly, so that I can have it go both to outlook on my computer, and my phone. I also want to be able to have anything I do on one device (delete, show read, etc) to show on the other. Finally, I need to be able to send from my phone, and it would be great if it showed a sent item in my outlook, but i don't know if that's possible.

Thank you for any help you can give.

R1Lover

Reaction score
First you need to put your domain name on a web server that will host your email.

then you need to configure it via a control panel that your host will give you access too, then setup the mail account as imap on both your pc and your phone. Pop3 will not sync and only download to one or the other or both.. but it will not sync the sent items, delete from both etc... where imap will.

OP
S

segen77

Reaction score
First you need to put your domain name on a web server that will host your email.

then you need to configure it via a control panel that your host will give you access too, then setup the mail account as imap on both your pc and your phone. Pop3 will not sync and only download to one or the other or both.. but it will not sync the sent items, delete from both etc... where imap will.

Will I use the e-mail icon on my phone that I would use for exchange for IMAP as well, or is there a different program that I need to use?

R1Lover

Reaction score
You will use the same one.... you just hit the menu button and select "add account" them select imap when prompted for the type.

OP
S

segen77

Reaction score
will i need to setup an outgoing mail server as smtp.gmail.com on my phone, or does it automatically configure that?

R1Lover

Reaction score
will i need to setup an outgoing mail server as smtp.gmail.com on my phone, or does it automatically configure that?

You will use your own mail server (the one you have your mail hosted on)

Another option for you as well is to let gmail host your mail for you.... you can google this as it's more detailed in the setup... but in short you point your mx records to google and setup it up on there site.

OP
S

segen77

Reaction score

You will use your own mail server (the one you have your mail hosted on)

Another option for you as well is to let gmail host your mail for you.... you can google this as it's more detailed in the setup... but in short you point your mx records to google and setup it up on there site.

Thanks again, you've been a big help.

Brokk

Reaction score
I also have a domain name, and have hired a company to host my email for me. In order to have the droid get my email, I have to be able to specify the IMAP server address. When I try to setup email, it give me a place to specify the email server address. How do I get around this?