SetCPU on D4.

Cegal

Reaction score
I had this for my Eris and it worked wonders. I know the stock kernel for the D4 isn't able to OC. My question is, anyone know if undervolting will still work? I installed it last night but I haven't had enough usage to notice any battery saved.

Sent from my DROID4 using DroidForums

OP
Cegal

Cegal

Reaction score
So after a few days of research and notes, setCPU works well to save battery if combined with a task killer and juice defender. Even more so now that CM9 is out. Although I don't believe the kernel for the droid 4 is able to undervolt, it does under clock the cpu. You can notice lag on switching screens and the like.

Sent from my XT894 using DroidForums

Kas84

Reaction score
So after a few days of research and notes, setCPU works well to save battery if combined with a task killer and juice defender. Even more so now that CM9 is out. Although I don't believe the kernel for the droid 4 is able to undervolt, it does under clock the cpu. You can notice lag on switching screens and the like.

It saves a whole hell lot of battery if you set it to the minimum MHz when not in use (300). I got over 21 hrs of battery life on a single charge my first day of use by underclocking my CPU and turning off all data connectivity.

Sent from my DROID4 using DroidForums

OP
Cegal

Cegal

Reaction score
I have a few profiles set, screen off being one. I keep it at 300mhz as well, I find the phone has no trouble waking up for calls and such. With juice defender I keep my sms and calls whitelisted so they get through while blocking everything else.

OP
Cegal

Cegal

Reaction score
Which governor are you using? I usually use on demand but I'm giving the mot_hotplug a shot.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
What is a governor?

Its like a speed control. It determines when to run the cpu at what speed. Different governors control the speed changes differently.

"Ready to do nothing at a moments notice."

B-Unit

Reaction score
Also, regarding governors, Ive noticed when overclocking that the moto_hotplug governor stops liking me, I have to change to 'on demand'

OP
Cegal

Cegal

Reaction score
Im using the Opptimizer hack to change frequencys and voltages. Ive found that there is signifigant room for undervolting the stock 1.2 Ghz, as well as the ability to OC to near 1.4 Ghz with minimal voltage increases. As always, YMMV. opptimizer - The OPPtimizer Projekt by FreeWELL/tekahuna - Google Project Hosting

Ahh beautiful! I don't have a reason to OC the droid 4 but UV I'm very interested in. I wonder if I could use the hack then further UV with setcpu...hrmmm...

OP
Cegal

Cegal

Reaction score
SetCPU doesn't control voltages at all. Any undervolting would be thru opptimizer, you can then use less agressive clocks in your profiles with SetCPU.dancedroid

Also, better instructions on how to install/use. http://rootzwiki.com/topic/14511-op...for-omap4-devices/page__p__362364#entry362364

Much appreciated, I knew I can't control voltage with setcpu. I was just under the impression that the stock droid 4 kernel couldn't undervolt.