Plastic D4?

tkileh

Reaction score
Now I know I do not own the D4 and yes I know all phones are plastic. But I was in Verizon today buying stuff and paying my bill.I picked up the D4 and played with it for a few minutes. And I was wondering if it was just me or does it seem like the D4 is not as solid of a build as the last 3 Droids it seemed at least to me like loosely put together plastic toy phone and not as rugged as the others?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

bdsullivan76

Reaction score
The D4 is solid. It has a nice weight to it. The slider is tight but not hard to open. The only thing that seems chincy is the power button. All in all if feels as solid as any other motor phone I have held.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

r314bd

Reaction score
The D4 definitely is a downgrade in durability from the previous iterations. The previous Droids had all-metal casing while the D4 has switched to a plastic back cover.

Having said that, I agree with bdsullivan in that the build quality is still very good and if you're like me and you use a case, then whether the back cover is plastic or metal is basically moot.

B-Unit

Reaction score
Agreed, the power button is the only thing that feels cheep to me.

R2D|2OID

Reaction score
I agree with others - phone is rock solid, power button is cheap as hell. It "rocks" back and forth in its slot, and has done so since I first bought it. Really poor design on that.

bdsullivan76

Reaction score
The back cover is plastic, but the texture is an improvement imo. It is not slick like my D2G was. I have yet to drop my D4 but if i did i am confident that the back cover and battery would not pop out (obviously) since the cover is locked in and the battery is not removable. That was a small concern for me but since i never felt the need to have an extended battery with the D2G or the Bionic i did not fret about it too much. Btw, battery life is much better than the reviews I read and has far exceeded my expectations.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

TDevilsG

Reaction score
I like the build quality of the Droid 4, it feels much lighter than the Droid 3. That thing was big and bulky; this feels much more comfortable in the hands and not nearly as heavy.

ezeddiekun

Reaction score
Have you guys ever used the Droid 1? This is definitely a downgrade, feels cheap compared to the previous ones..

Sent from my DROID4 using DroidForums

LordKastle

Reaction score
I was a long-term Droid 1 user. Even though there is not as much metal casing on the Droid 4, its still one of the most solid quality phones compared to many other devices from Android manufacturers. Remember this was meant to a new-school Droid (keyboard) model, similar to the Razr.

If you think the Droid 4 feels cheap then you must have never held in your hand a Samsung, HTC or LG phone. Motorola still continues to put out the best build quality devices...lets just hope they don't get content and start weakening their standards.

Have you guys ever used the Droid 1? This is definitely a downgrade, feels cheap compared to the previous ones..

battlecanary

Reaction score
I was a long-term Droid 1 user. Even though there is not as much metal casing on the Droid 4, its still one of the most solid quality phones compared to many other devices from Android manufacturers. Remember this was meant to a new-school Droid (keyboard) model, similar to the Razr.

If you think the Droid 4 feels cheap then you must have never held in your hand a Samsung, HTC or LG phone. Motorola still continues to put out the best build quality devices...lets just hope they don't get content and start weakening their standards.

Agree completely. The D4 is a solid device and I'm sure will last as long as my original Droid did (bought at release, retired last month). Switching up was a scary process, I loved the D1 completely, but in the end I'm 100% happy with the D4 now that I've had some time with it.

The power button does seem weak, but so was the D1's.

The backplate scared me too, but is literally the biggest non-issue about this phone. What I mean is sure it's a change in design, but it maters so little once you start using the phone, and unless you throw your phone constantly it will never be a problem. The phone's overall construction feels very solid, and the keyboard is like butter and I'm sure will last forever (unlike the bubbling D1 keypad).

And again, I don't know how anyone can say Moto phones feel cheap now after you've held the other manufacturers products, which are generally all plasticy feeling and unsatisfying to me.

ezeddiekun

Reaction score
If you compare it to Samsung phones then I have to agree. Those are made with real glossy plastic, but my Droid 4 has a icky back door and slider, didn't feel as solid as the first Droid. And I also don't like the semi-reflective metal strip around the touch screen because mine is scratched up from putting on and taking off cases which is very ironic.