Sending MMS through Gmail.

wil318466

Reaction score
I think that we can't send pictures (MMS) through google voice, only text (SMS). I have 2 cell phones (one for work, one personal) so I've been doing a lot of testing.. and... I figured something out.

You can use Gmail to "email" a cell phone. So, I sent a gmail to the number which looked like [email protected] and attached a picture. It worked.

Alltel: phone [email protected]
AT&T for SMS [email protected], for MMS [email protected]
Nextel: [email protected]-Mobile: [email protected]
Verizon: for SMS: [email protected], for MMS: [email protected]
Virgin Mobile: [email protected]
Sprint: [email protected]
US Cellular: phone [email protected] (SMS) phone [email protected] (MMS)

Nice, eh? Its a bit of work, using Gmail AND having to know their network.. but it works. Well, the tests I ran worked. If anyone else can check, try it out.

Anyone know if Google voice plans to support MMS eventually?

-Wil

samredman

Reaction score
Excellent tip. Hat's off to Wil318466.

It does work and once you send a photo like that to anyone, the address (and similarly spelled ones) appear as a autofill choices in red lettering on the line below the addresss field as you begin typing it in (and you can click on the proper choice and it fills it in for you without typing further), so sending again to the same address is quite simple. The same method (of course) works to send photos to any other email address.

Last edited:

searayman

Reaction score
Why not just use your mms from your phone instead of emailing, wouldnt it be quicker then to figure out everyones email especially if you do not know the network your freinds are on?

samredman

Reaction score
Yes, you can attach an image to a message and send it... (mms). But, some friends or business contacts don't use cellphones, so the numbers you have in your contacts are to "land lines" not cellphones.. and, for them, sending an attachment to a message (mms) wouldn't work. Emailing works best there. Also, some people who do have cell phones can't do anything with the image except look at it once you send it as a message attachment. As an email attachment once they view it, they can download it right to their computer for whatever use they have.

But, for those recipients with a cellphone who do like messaging, then attaching an image to a message is a great alternative to emailing.