Seidio Surface or Active

LDB415

Reaction score
Has anyone used both of these cases? If so, can you please discuss which is better and why? If you've only used one of them which one and what are your thoughts on it? I can't tell which might be the better choice and don't want to spend that much on a blind gamble. Thanks.

jseah

Reaction score
I got the Seidio Surface two weeks ago and am expecting to receive the Seidio Active today from UPS. Obviously being thicker with the rubber skin and the hard plastic skeleton, the Active will provide greater protection, however, it does come at the cost of being thicker. The Surface does have a rubbery surface, so it does help to provide some grip. If you are planning on using it and want to put the phone in your jeans pocket, a slimmer case like the Surface will help to make it easier to put in and take out. Comparing the Surface to the Otterbox Commuter (I believe the size of the Commuter is comparable to the Active), the Commuter is about 50% thicker than the Surface. If you want the phone to be as close to the original size as possible, then the Surface is the one you want. In my opinion, the phone itself is so thin to begin with, a thicker case like the Active or Commuter makes it more comfortable to hold in your hand.

The last time I bought the Active, it was for the Thunderbolt and I didn't think highly of the quality. The hard plastic portion of the case had parts that went over four corners of the phone and the middle of the phone on each side. The rubber part of the case was a bit loose and over time it would sag in the areas of the phone that was not covered by the plastic shell.

EDIT: Just received the Active case, and I don't really like it. Just like the Active case I had with the Thunderbolt, the rubber portion of the case is very soft, so that wherever the plastic shell does not cover the rubber case, you can easily pull the rubber part off of the case. For example, when putting the case into the Active holster, the latch at the top of the holster snags against the rubber portion of the case and pulls it off the phone. However, the Active case is thinner than the Otterbox Commuter. By eyeballing it, the Active case is roughly halfway in size in between the Surface and the Commuter. I think I'll end up returning the Active case, it just isn't as nice as the Otterbox.

Last edited:
OP
L

LDB415

Reaction score
Thank you. That's a very helpful review. I have a 20% off coupon for Seidio good today only and didn't want to spend that much without some positive feedback on them. I'll look into the Surface.

Caesars

Reaction score
Great review (s)

Return of the Android

OP
L

LDB415

Reaction score
I received my Surface late this afternoon. So far just an hour or so sitting in my recliner but it is very comfortable. I think I'm going to like it. I'll know more tomorrow after running errands.

Caesars

Reaction score
Has anyone dropped the GN2 with the surface? I have one but I'm too scared to fit it in with the active/commuter rotation lol

Return of the Android

big al

Reaction score
Has anyone dropped the GN2 with the surface? I have one but I'm too scared to fit it in with the active/commuter rotation lol

Return of the Android

many many times. always saved it.

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
I have the Seidio Active and it has served me well. it does have a little looseness when putting it in the holster where i have to hold the clip up before putting it in. I have also triggered my volume when leaning over but i flipped how I insert it an have the bottom face to the front of me. I really wanted a Trident Kraken but it was not available for the Note 2. I had it on my S3 and loved it.

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
I have the seidio for my rmhd, it looks the same as the one for the note 2. What I don't like is the way you have to hold the clip up to get it in the holster, it would be much more user friendly had they extended the plastic all the way across the top where the clip catches so you could just push it into the clip instead of having to lift the clip every time so it doesn't catch on the rubber. jmo

Sent From My RMHD