Security Lock?

Monstrosity

Reaction score
Ok, I'm getting the Droid in a week.

I'm wondering if you can set it where you have to insert a password each time you use the phone, open up messages, pictures, etc.

my phone at[the voyager] only locks if u tell it to or on start..is the droid like this, or a lot more security benefits?

I just want to be able to make it where peopel cant look at my messages or pictures if they take it from my hands or w/e.

f150steeler

Reaction score
Droid has a cool lock screen. You have to enter a pattern and whoala, your in.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Indeed. It's got an option for pattern lock. You set your own pattern that must be entered in order to unlock the screen.

TatDroid

Reaction score
I have my Droid set up to receive my corporate email account and they require a screen lock, so I use the pattern and I love it. It's fast and easy to enter. Two things:

First: when I enter the pattern to unlock my phone a red line outlines the pattern and makes it obvious to see, if anyone is watching. I noticed that on my daughter's Droid Eris there is no red outline when she draws her pattern and it makes it much more difficult for someone to see what her pattern is. Does the Droid have an option anywhere to NOT outline the pattern when you draw it?

Second: I was worried that if I left my phone somewhere and it was locked, there was no way for anyone to find out who it belonged to. I found a cool app that solves this problem: Contact Owner. It displays your contact information on the home lock page - whatever information you would like to show. I have: name, home phone, email address. It works like a charm, it's tiny (64k), and is not a battery drain. A message comes up on install that "it appears you have an HTC build, and this app may not work well with HTC", even though I have a Moto Droid. Just ignore the warning. It works fine with the Moto Droid and there are no forced crash issues.

FoFa

Reaction score
If you use the pattern lock, do you still have to do the whole swipe thing also?

I.E. put your pattern in, then swipe the unlock thingy, then answer the phone?

TatDroid

Reaction score
The pattern lock replaces the normal swipe screen to activate the touch screen. So it's one or the other - you don't need to do both.

To answer a call you do not need to unlock the phone. When the phone is locked and it rings you will get the normal screen to swipe the phone icon to answer the call. You'll be able to answer the call - but the phone is not unlocked to access anything else.

So, to answer your questions, you do NOT need to do multiple things to answer a call - just one swipe. AND, you do not need to do multiple things to unlock the phone if you have a lock pattern set - just swipe your pattern and it's unlocked.

FoFa

Reaction score
Ok, thanks for that, I've been not using the swipe pattern because i figured if I hated it, I might be stuck.

With the swipe pattern thing, is there still a silence phone thing available like on the normal phone unlock?

relmers

Reaction score
First: when I enter the pattern to unlock my phone a red line outlines the pattern and makes it obvious to see, if anyone is watching. I noticed that on my daughter's Droid Eris there is no red outline when she draws her pattern and it makes it much more difficult for someone to see what her pattern is. Does the Droid have an option anywhere to NOT outline the pattern when you draw it?

To eliminate the red outline, go to the "Settings" icon, select "Location & Security" and then uncheck Use visible pattern.

HTH

usafkevin

Reaction score
Patterns

You can disable the pattern tracing option so people who are watching can't follow it, but (at least in my case) the finger drag leaves a trail on the screen. If I were to lose my phone, all someone whould have to do is hold it at the right angle to the light, and they would see my code pattern.

I would prefer an old fashioned password.

LordKastle

Reaction score
There's an app that will allow your eye retina to be scanned for protected areas.

silverx10

Reaction score
If I were to lose my phone, all someone whould have to do is hold it at the right angle to the light, and they would see my code pattern.

You'd have to lose your phone RIGHT after putting in your pattern for that to happen. And even then, I'm sure they'd get their grubby li'l fingers all over the screen, thus negating any oily trail you left behind. Unless they happen on your phone sitting on a bench and think to themselves, "Oh, snap! A DROID! Better pick it up by the edges to ensure I preserve the rightful owner's unlock pattern."

...Perhaps I've said too much. :icon_eek:

fatasian

Reaction score
I have decided that I don't like the pattern lock, but now my phone won't let me uncheck the option..

Any thoughts?

DroidFan

Reaction score
Second: I was worried that if I left my phone somewhere and it was locked, there was no way for anyone to find out who it belonged to. I found a cool app that solves this problem: Contact Owner. It displays your contact information on the home lock page - whatever information you would like to show. I have: name, home phone, email address. It works like a charm, it's tiny (64k), and is not a battery drain. A message comes up on install that "it appears you have an HTC build, and this app may not work well with HTC", even though I have a Moto Droid. Just ignore the warning. It works fine with the Moto Droid and there are no forced crash issues.

Thanks for this tip! I've been looking for something like Contact Owner since I got the Droid. I had this for my BlackBerry and LOVED having it with my lockscreen. What a lifesaver!

UPDATE: Okay, I just installed this app and it's WONDERFUL! It shows up on the lock screen so I don't have to worry about anyone getting into my phone, but there's still my information and you can even enter additional text information, which I set up as ICE contacts....perfect!!!!!

Last edited: