Securing the Droid

bford64

Reaction score
Hello to all,
Couldn't find a post on securing the Droid other than what was posted about the 2.1 security flaw with the gesture feature. I'm curious what most of the users do for security incase the phone is lost. I had a near cardiac moment the other day while leaving the theatre. Realized my phone wasn't in the holster and started to panic. Went back to my seat to locate it and couldn't. Started to panic more. Had to wait for the credits to finish before the lights would come back on so I could finish looking for it. More panic time. It was during these near cardiac arrest moments that I realized how lazy/foolish I have been with the security of the phone. I know there is the gesture feature but wonder how secure it is. If I lose the phone would someone be able to get past it with ease? Would a phone reset just reset the phone to factory settings? What kind of security measures should I take with the sd card? I don't mind losing the phone just don't want the finder to have access to all of my personal contacts, photos and other private information.
Any help and guidance would be appreciated.
God Bless.

jimmiet

Reaction score
I personally use Mobile Defense. If you lose your phone go on the web and lock it down! Available on the market!

mkraffert

Reaction score
I also use mobile defense. It also has locating functionality.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I know there is the gesture feature but wonder how secure it is.
If your gesture is on the glass in your finger grease then it's not very secure. ;)

Definitely get an app to remotely lock/wipe/locate. Just be aware that these types of apps are easily bypassed if the person finding it knows anything about smartphones. Don't count on it and consider it a bonus layer of security. I don't know of any that will protect your SD card. The finder could easily just remove the SD card and read it via an SD card reader.

cheewee

Reaction score
WaveSecure for me. Remote lock down/wipe, plus notifications on unauthorized access. It also provides some backup functions, which is nice to have as well.

https://www.wavesecure.com/wavesecure/android.aspx

Hi EbE404,
Thanks for the recommendation. Do note that if you have a rooted phone, you can make WaveSecure hard reset proof by installing it as a system app. It lets you switch on GPS automatically, even when it is off.

Thanks,
cheewee
Team WaveSecure
www.wavesecure.com