SEC Investigating for Insider Trading Due To Apple Supply Chain Stock News

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
sec-crest.jpg

This news is definitely not directly Android related, yet it seems very relevant to share considering it's news about its largest competitor. First, Apple's stocks recently took a negative hit upon hearing news that the company had to downgrade their original order of iPhone 5 parts by almost half, because of expected weak demand.

Second, industry analysts supposedly received leaked info from Apple's supply chain that this was the case, and the stock market followed suit by "short-selling" Apple stock. (If you are unfamiliar with this investor term, it basically means that if you expect a stock price to fall, you can borrow the shares from a broker, and then sell them at current value. You do this in exchange for buying them at the lower price you expect them to hit.) This short-selling caused Apple's price to drop rapidly and it nearly fell bellow the $500 dollar mark.

Since this occurrence, the SEC decided to get involved and is now investigating to determine if insider trading was a factor in these events. Apparently, the SEC is investigating these "channel checks" that are provided to stock analysts to try and reign in and keep a check on these behaviors. Here's a quote with some additional detail,

Case in point - the rumor about diminished iPhone screen orders, while not confirmed by any official source today, and it couldn't be anyway, sent Apple's share price below $500 in premarket trading.

That is why the SEC is cracking down on those analysts and their "industry sources", which might be someone working at Foxconn or other suppliers, but might as well be fabricated for the moment, or supplied to the "expert network" in the know for profit from the price swings.

Research shops that have issued reports on Apple's supply chain are currently consulting with law firms, the Journal says, as the SEC is more interested whether there has been a break in confidentiality agreements, rather than whether the information from the supply chain sources has been confirmed and true. We'll see how it all pans out, but suppliers are usually the main source of rumors about upcoming handsets, so that well might be drier this year, if the SEC cracks down on intermediaries.

Even if the SEC's investigation turns up no overt impropriety, the implications of this investigation are news "leaks" may diminish greatly for a while as the SEC puts pressure on the industry to shore up information security vulnerabilities. Sadly, this will likely lead to less rumors for a while on upcoming new devices. :(

Source: PhoneArena

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm a little torn on this. On the one side, rumors are fun. But on the other side, I'm in said industry, and I get sick and tired of seeing these "expert" analysts with their sometimes baseless predictions. If this cracks down on the latter at the expense of the former, I'll deal with the lack of rumors for awhile.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Some traders bought an iPhone5 , thought about what they bought after looking at it, said to themselves "this thing sucks for supposedly being such a huge improvement" quickly got on the phone and said "we better sell off some stock because there's no way under the sun that parts order isn't going to get cut big time because this thing ain't gonna sell"
No insider trading, just common sense taking over I'd bet

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
The one BIG reason the iPhone is still selling as well as it is, is because 80% of it's users have invested thousands of dollars into their system "app. music, movies", it is just not feasible to switch.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
I for one hope the rumors are true, so that stock prices fall enough for me to be able to afford to buy some. :D

jpiarull

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z Force Droid
Twitter
jpiarull
I for one hope the rumors are true, so that stock prices fall enough for me to be able to afford to buy some. :D

Funny you should mention that. I major in finance and can honestly tell you that stock price is overvalued by over 300%. Price/share is going to drop like a rock watch it happen.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Droid Forums

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Funny you should mention that. I major in finance and can honestly tell you that stock price is overvalued by over 300%. Price/share is going to drop like a rock watch it happen.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Droid Forums

Doesn't that apply to most of the US equity market right now? Maybe not 300%... but significant over-valuation across the board.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Can't make money by.....never mind .