Seamlessly Share Files Between All Of Your Devices With BitTorrentSync

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
[video=youtube;XJnhXzo3qKE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJnhXzo3qKE#t=11[/video]

Over the years BitTorrent has developed a pretty bad reputation. While Torrents can be used for legal reasons such as sharing important medical and business documents, videos, and other files they have mostly been used by scullywagging Pirates to spread movies, music, books, and video games illegally.

BitTorrent really has an opportunity to clean up their tarnished name with their new app "BitTorrent Sync". Essentially BitTorrent sync uses an app on your PC and apps on your devices to sync up all of your personal files universally across devices! This is an excellent use of torrents! BitTorrent Sync allows you to sync unlimited files. Other apps like dropbox have an allowed storage space. You can quickly send your personal photos and videos to your friends device. This is a great way to backup all of your photos from that vacation to your pc! File transfers are encrypted and protected by private keys, and you can rest assured that your information will never be stored server side in the cloud.

Check out the video above for a full demo of the app. It should be noted that this is a personal file syncing application. It is not compatible with torrent filesharing applications and should not be used to share copy written content.

Thanks Pc747 for the heads up

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Installing now. I love Dropbox, use it daily for a ton of things, but space is limited. Come July of next year, I'm going to lose my free 50gigs for 2 years from my S3 purchase and will be back down to 10 gigs (I referred a ton of people to get to 10 gigs). This however lets me use the entirety of my 2TB drive and then I can pick and choose. My upload speed is pretty good so I'm not worried about having a slow transfer rate. The only downside I can see is you have to have your computer on to do the transfer. Cloud storage is nice because you don't have to manage the storage source. My computer is usually on from the time I go to work to the time I go to bed so its not a major issue for me personally, but I can see it being an issue in the winter time when I usually don't have my computer on all day because of the risk of a power outage. That said, I can see this being even more useful on my tablet at home when hopefully **fingers crossed** the Chromecast can be used to cast local files from my tablet via MX Player or something. I can easily transfer a bunch of files to my phone and then play them easily. Either way, I like this and can see myself actually using it more than just a few times for larger files.

[[EDIT]]

To get a QR code, you have to choose the folder, right click on the sync folder in the Bittorrent Sync software, Show Folder Preferences and then choose Connect Mobile Device. That'll give you a scannable QR code. Also, I'd like to see a built in file manager. Nothing amazing, but the ability to delete files off the local device.

One last bit, the data indicator on my phone seems to stay on all the time now. Especially the download arrow. I tested with a couple tiny files and they did sync juts fine, but now there are no files in the sync folder and the data indicator seems to not want to stop. Going to let it sit for a bit and see if it is actually using data from the app or if my battery life goes down. It'd be a shame for a good app to be killed because of data usage.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I been playing with it a little I stumbled upon tips to help with that and battery life. I'll do a write up on it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I been playing with it a bit and think it can work but needs a few things to make things a little easier. For one they did not do a good enough job explaining how to set it up. I had planned on improving on the youtube video I saw but must admit I do not have time so I will post the video that helped me. I will have to tell you that the guy is green behind the camera so be prepared. With that said it will still get you from point a to point b.

[video=youtube;oMmM6c3s7A4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMmM6c3s7A4[/video]

After you set it all up it helps if you have a folder that you will use for syncing content.

2013-09-09-12-52-26.png

2) make sure you have that folder created some where on your phone folder because basically you are going to drag and drop content to that folder.

2013-09-09-12-54-01.png

3) when you are ready to sync that is when I open the app. I do not need to have the app open syncing real time the entire time and once I am done syncing I exit the app. Example: I took screen shots of the photos used in this post. I wanted to sync it so i moved those photos to my sync folder and once it synced I exit the app on my phone then opened it on my computer and moved the content into the picture file on my macbook.

2013-09-09-12-54-43.png

4) I also had my settings changed where the app will not sync below the battery percentage I have set. So if I am messing around and forget to exit the app will not be killing my battery.

2013-09-09-12-52-54.png

Hopefully this will help you guys set up, save battery life, and save data usage.