SDCard died

Reaction score
I have been using my 8GB SDCard since I received this phone over a year ago. I pulled it from my previous phone. It suddenly died and luckily I had just backed everything up to my computer. The sdcard isn't even readable in a PC. It cannot even be formatted! What is really strange is that a week or so ago my wife's SDCard in her S3 did the same thing! One of my friends S3 just did the same thing also!

What is going on? Any others having these issues. All the SDCards are totally dead! Anyone have any ideas?

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note II using Droid Forums

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
SD cards do die but it seems you're luck is really bad. Is there an app common to the phones? Just a shot in the dark.

OP
Bart.Cunningham
Reaction score
I'm sure we have some of the same apps installed but I don't see how any app can physically destroy a SDCard. The card isn't corrupt it is dead! The phone and computer don't even know I am plugging it in.

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note II using Droid Forums

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
Technically it's probably not physical damage but rather logical damage. There are sectors that can become corrupted to the point that it can't be seen or even formatted but nothing is physically wrong with the card itself. Though it's rare that can be caused by an app/program or even the OS.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I had my 32 gb die on me last summer after having it fo about a year and a half. After that I been making a conscience effort to back up to some of the cloud services. Not sure if an app can cause it or not but sd cards can go bad. Plus san disk had a run where they kicked out a few bad batches.