SD Card Write Protected

sysexdata

Reaction score
I rooted my phone about a month ago without any issue, and now I'm trying to get back on the update path to go 902. The problem is when I have my bionic hooked up via usb to my computer and I try to drag a file onto the sd card, it says the card is write-protected. I have never had this issue before, it seems to have randomly enabled write protection on the sd card. How can I remove this protection so that my sd card functions normally? I am also unable to delete files from the sd card for the same reason.

gsDroid

Reaction score
When you connect with the usb cable, do you have usb debugging checked in settings > applications > development and are you in Mass storage mode for your usb connection? You should see two drives in explorer, one will be labeled MOT: and the other one is your microsd card. Is that the one that shows as write-protected? Have you tried powering off and pulling the microsd card to test with a card reader?

warner3687

Reaction score
I am having the same problem on Samsung Galaxy Proclaim. when trying to transfer any file I get the same message all the time. Tried different usb ports. debugging mode. used microSD adapter and was able to do what ever I wanted to it. Not sure what else to do. Would a factory reset help?

gsDroid

Reaction score
Before a factory reset, I would try copying off everything from the microsd card to the computer using the card reader and then formatting the card. Make sure to keep it as fat32 and I think the default is 8K clusters. Then try copying something to the freshly formatted card in the phone. It that works, copy your files back and see if it still works. My wife had a corrupted file on her card that really messed up her phone until we found and deleted it.

useltonm

Reaction score
drumtrucker said:
on a micro sd card? where it that?

They don't have them in micro SD cards. I believe they only existed on SD cards. Maybe mini SD as well. But i'm pretty sure the micro SD cards are too small to even attempt engineering them for the switch he's referring to.

CaptainQuack

Reaction score
well THAT was a DOH! moment. the micros don't have them, SD's and some mini's. just seen that as the reason for the problem so often that I didn't think about the fact that micros don't have them.