sd card question

Colorado

Reaction score
I should receive my maxx on monday. I plan on using mybackup pro to restore everything from my dx to my maxx. I have a 32gb sdcard in my dx. Question is can i just pop it in my maxx or should i save it to my pc then format it in the maxx then copy everthing over?
Would this process restore everything (pics for contacts, etc. etc.) or is this unnecessary since mybackup pro should do this?
As you can tell this is the first time that i am migrating data from one smartphone to another and i want to make the transition as painless as possible.
TIA

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Colorado said:
I should receive my maxx on monday. I plan on using mybackup pro to restore everything from my dx to my maxx. I have a 32gb sdcard in my dx. Question is can i just pop it in my maxx or should i save it to my pc then format it in the maxx then copy everthing over?
Would this process restore everything (pics for contacts, etc. etc.) or is this unnecessary since mybackup pro should do this?
As you can tell this is the first time that i am migrating data from one smartphone to another and i want to make the transition as painless as possible.
TIA

You should be able to just put your sd card into your maxx and have everything work fine and all most likely will but I always save my sd contents to my pc, format my sd card in the new phone, then copy the things that I want that were on the as card from the pc to the newly formatted sd card. I just feel it is a fresher start. If you go this route, when your copying files from your computer to the sd card in your Maxx, copy any file folders of apps that you plan on using, copy the backup pro folder and copy any pics that you used for contacts. When I did this for my maxx, my contact pics were intact.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

OP
C

Colorado

Reaction score
You should be able to just put your sd card into your maxx and have everything work fine and all most likely will but I always save my sd contents to my pc, format my sd card in the new phone, then copy the things that I want that were on the as card from the pc to the newly formatted sd card. I just feel it is a fresher start. If you go this route, when your copying files from your computer to the sd card in your Maxx, copy any file folders of apps that you plan on using, copy the backup pro folder and copy any pics that you used for contacts. When I did this for my maxx, my contact pics were intact.

Thanks for your help.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
You're welcome. Have fun with your new phone!

metawarlord

Reaction score
I bought a 16gig class 10 microsd to use for my bionic. I took the old one out and formatted the new one. I'm running liberty 3 2.0 gold. (Awesome rom btw)
I have a question... what is the sdcard-ext and why is it full when its a new SD card? Then right below sdcard-ext is the SD card. This is all in root browser that is built into liberty. If someone could help just let me know. Thanks in advance!

Metawarlord

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
When it's connected to Windows Explorer (Windows 7) I see MOT (Internal disk) and Removable Drive, which is the SD-EXT. Actually I let the phone format the card (I replaced mine too) and now they both say MOT.

Did you have the phone format the card or was it formatted elsewhere? Other than the root browser does any other file manager app say the same? What does it say is on the card? I'm not rooted, but there is the app Disk Usage and System Panel which shows stuff about the card's memory.

metawarlord

Reaction score
Haven't tried another root browser yet. And I installed the moterila drivers and my win 7 PC finds my phone but I put the phone on PC mode and I can access everything. I formatted the card with the phone. :/

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
What happens on USB Mass Storage instead of PC Mode? Did you click on "Properties" of the SD-EXT card?

System Panel just shows what's happening on your phone; it's not a root browser.

BTW, are we talking about a Bionic? It' says "Droid X" on your profile.

metawarlord

Reaction score
Yes I haven't been on the forums since my X. I haven't been on stock rom in forever but USB mass storage lets you use it like a flash drive I believe. I us PC mode because it opens it up for you to see all the files on the phone. I change that in the notification bar when I plug it into my pc

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
While PC Mode shows you all the files, it treats your phone as one big drive, rather than seeing the internal SD card and the SD-EXT card separately.

USB Mass Storage shows the same files, but as 2 separate drives. That way you can zero in on what's going on with SD-EXT.

babymilo

Reaction score
How much of the 32 gigs is available after the os takes its part out?

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
How much of the 32 gigs is available after the os takes its part out?

About 28GB of usable space.

Code:
Filesystem             Size   Used   Free   Blksize
/dev                   347M    32K   347M   4096
/mnt/asec              347M     0K   347M   4096
/mnt/obb               347M     0K   347M   4096
/system                643M   336M   307M   4096
/factory                19M     4M    15M   4096
/cache                 425M    16M   408M   4096
/data                   28G    20G     7G   4096
/storage/sdcard0        28G    20G     7G   4096

babymilo

Reaction score
Not bad.
My RAZR is supposed to have 16 gb but only 7 or 8 gb was available so 28 gb is awesome

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
Yeah it isn't too bad. It is a bit disappointing to not having an sdcard, for more storage. 28GB serves me pretty well. It definitely is possible to fill it up rather quick though. My usage pattern is fine with it, but I have seen a few folks that have filled it up and want more. YMMV

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
28gb is plenty for many users, their main gripe is no SD card support, which is well warranted. I always keep an SD card with various media on it and I would've loved to have been able to use that on my Nexus, but oh well.