SD Card Issues.... possibly (probably?) related to Encryption

iHope

Reaction score
My Rezound has been working very well until early this week, when out of nowhere a message came up that said that I had to encrypt my SD Card in order to receive work e-mails. I can't remember the exact message, but it said my administrator now requires it. I use my Rezound for work which pushes some security requirements to the phone. Encryption was not one of them before, but then this message came up. I did accept it despite knowing it would delete the contents for the card (I didn't have much on the SD card and I really needed to check my e-mail). Now, it appears my SD Card is encrypted. I have to enter the encryption password when the phone turns on, etc. Overall, the phone still works. Just a few very, very strange things happening that I need to resolve.

1) I am able to take pictures (using the stock app)... but when I go to the Gallery to view them or share them, I get a message that says, "An error was encountered on your SD card" and no pictures are available. I was able to find the pictures using a File Viewer (Astro) in two different directories (which I find interesting): /mnt/sdcard/ext_sd/DCIM/100Media and /sdcard2/DCIM/100 Media. In fact, /mnt/sdcard/ext_sd and /sdcard2/DCIM seem to be identical.

2) When I open Swiftkey (its the keyboard app I prefer), it tells me "No SD card."<BR><BR>There's a few other strange things happening .&nbsp; Even though I have an SD Card installed, it seems like the fact that it is now encrypted is causing problems.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks for the help.

p.s. I should also add that in the middle of the night before all this happened I spent a decent amount of time messing with the phone to get the battery to last longer (and I was successful!).&nbsp; I don't think that the things I messed with should have caused this problem, but I wanted to mention it in case I accidentally hit a button I should not have.

OP
I

iHope

Reaction score
Just wanted to bump this one back up in case anyone had any ideas.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
If I remember correctly encryption didn't work on stock GB. Some offices require encrypted SD cards as part of their active sync policies. However it's a stupid policy because most exchange clients encrypt their storage. There's no way around it though

OP
I

iHope

Reaction score
Solved!

After doing some research on this forum and others, I was able to solve my problem. I am posting the resolution here in case anyone else runs into this issue:

Short answer: Settings --> SD & Phone Storage --> Erase Phone Storage

Long Answer: Prior to the fix, when I would look at SD Card and Storage, I could see that my SD Card was encrypted and my internal phone storage was "Read Only". I figured this was another symptom of my phone not working well living in the encrypted world. I could still read and write on my SD Card (using Astro and other apps) even though it was encrypted. My "Phone Storage" (in SD & Phone Storage in Settings) was read only. Contrary to my intuition, I decided to 'Erase phone Storage.' This must have cleared up any issues my phone had with the encryption process because eveything immediately started working again -- Evernote, the Camera, etc. The "Read Only" indication is also gone. Interestingly, my pictures, files, etc are still there (as they were on the SD Card and not on the phone itself).

I'm back up and running and I'm a fan of Android devices again.

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
You're a braver man than I. I'd say screw the BYOD and company email. I'll use webmail before I erased my internal storage.

1FastS197

Reaction score
After doing some research on this forum and others, I was able to solve my problem. I am posting the resolution here in case anyone else runs into this issue:

Short answer: Settings --> SD & Phone Storage --> Erase Phone Storage

Long Answer: Prior to the fix, when I would look at SD Card and Storage, I could see that my SD Card was encrypted and my internal phone storage was "Read Only". I figured this was another symptom of my phone not working well living in the encrypted world. I could still read and write on my SD Card (using Astro and other apps) even though it was encrypted. My "Phone Storage" (in SD & Phone Storage in Settings) was read only. Contrary to my intuition, I decided to 'Erase phone Storage.' This must have cleared up any issues my phone had with the encryption process because eveything immediately started working again -- Evernote, the Camera, etc. The "Read Only" indication is also gone. Interestingly, my pictures, files, etc are still there (as they were on the SD Card and not on the phone itself).

I'm back up and running and I'm a fan of Android devices again.

Joined here just to say THANK YOU. I hadn't gotten myself to test this out yet. I was trying to wait for ICS to see if that would fix it. I've been dealing with this since I got my phone 10 days ago. Not being able to view pictures through the gallery was super annoying and Swiftkey X was useless without access to the SD card.

Not having my work email is not an option for me, mostly because my phone saves my ass with the 15 minute reminder before meetings. Also, my phone made me encrypt the SD as soon as I setup my work account.

kgHTCrezound2012

Reaction score
Finally!

THANK YOU for posting your solution! I have been trying to resolve this issue for weeks now. First I sent my SD card to SanDisk to get a replacement because they thought it was damaged; then Verizon replaced my phone because they did not know what to do either. I erased my phone storage and it doesn't seem like I've lost anything, so your solution works! Thanks again!

jldj01

Reaction score
THANK YOU for posting your solution! I have been trying to resolve this issue for weeks now. First I sent my SD card to SanDisk to get a replacement because they thought it was damaged; then Verizon replaced my phone because they did not know what to do either. I erased my phone storage and it doesn't seem like I've lost anything, so your solution works! Thanks again!

I had the same problem with SD (SanDisk) and Verizon thinking my phone was damaged (Moto Droid Razr) this happened after the OTA update. Verizon sent me a replacement phone which I returned, because I figured out the the problem was with the SD encryption. I re-formatted the memory card put it back in the phone problem solved. I fortunately backed up the information on the card before reformatting it. Now, I deselected the encryption in settings so I will not have this problem in the future.

OP
I

iHope

Reaction score
Apprecaite the recognition...

kgHTCrezound2012 and 1FastS197 --

Thanks for the kind notes. I'm glad you found it useful and I appreciate knowing it was valuable. You guys my day (today and when 1Fast posted a few months back).