SD card gone bad? Reboot issues possibly explained here

JFDroid

Reaction score
I've been on the stock .340 update for a while now and have been getting constant random reboots and general weirdness from my phone. So I tried Fission ROM and had the same results. Then I .sbf'd back to .320, did the updates to .340 and have left my phone stock (not rooted) for about a week now to see if it would fix my problems. I've still been experiencing random reboots and shutdowns. I've never overclocked my Droid X and I run few apps.

Then, after reading a few threads, I tried running my phone with my SD card unmounted. I've done this for the past 2 days and haven't experienced a single random reboot in that time. Then, today after reformatting my original 16GB card I remounted it in my phone, hoping a clean install would help me be reboot free. Negative. I've had about 5 reboots in the past 3 hours since remounting my SD card.

Does anyone think my SD card is junk? Sure seems so to me. I'm about to order a class 6 16GB card from Amazon as a replacement.

Anyone having similar issues? You might want to try running without your SD card for a day or two and see if youre reboot free during that time. After tons of .sbf's, factory resets, wiping data & cache and reinstalling all apps from scratch several times (probably about 10 times in the past month), unmounting my SD card is the only solution I've been able to find.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

diesel45

Reaction score
I got the Transcend 16gb MircoSDHC Class 6 card from Amazon just last week. Thought it would speed up my non-rooted Droid X. I've been using a San disk 32gb Class 2, but had issues with Live wallpapers making page swipes choppy.

I formatted the new Transcend card on my PC. Then copied some basic files like Dolphin browser settings+bookmarks, beautiful widgets skins, ADW settings. Seemed to be fine. Then I started syncing mp3's over my sync cable from Mediamonkey. 30 mins or so after successful mp3 sync, the phone would go black, wouldn't shut off, or wouldn't bring up my home launcher (ADW).

I put the 32gb Sandisk c2 back in and it's back to normal, no issues. Put the 16gb Transcend in and its same problems again.

I'm reformatting another Sandisk 16gb class 2 card right now to see if that one does the same thing with the same procedures. If it works, I'm shipping this Transcend card back to Amazon. I have the feeling it's junk, but Windows 7 can read it fine, so I'm not sure.

diesel45

Reaction score
I'm concluding that my Transcend 16gb c6 card is defective. Same procedure done on a San disk c2 16gb card works fine. Transcend seems to fail when about 70% of space is used on card. Returning to amazon.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
Maybe your phone cant handle c6? Try a class 4 :/

Sent from the F-Zero cockpit on my D2G

timrock

Reaction score
I'm concluding that my Transcend 16gb c6 card is defective. Same procedure done on a San disk c2 16gb card works fine. Transcend seems to fail when about 70% of space is used on card. Returning to amazon.
same issue, same card. got a transcend class 6, copied everything from my 32gb class 2 directly to the 16gb (i had less than 16gb on the 32gb) and the card would freeze the phone. the pics in my gallery would either take long to show up, or wouldnt show up at all. after i take a pic, the pic wouldnt show up in the gallery either. the phone would freeze. i formatted the card several ways and still got the same issues. like someone said, maybe the phone cant handle class 6 cards. it handles my 32gb class 2 card perfectly though.

diesel45

Reaction score
I thought it might be the class level too, so I called both Verizon and Motorola. Both said the Droid X doesnt have any SD Card Class limitations. Class 6 should work fine they said.

I might entertain Amazon sending me a replacement Transcend c6 card to see if the card was defective, we'll see.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
Well thats good to know, thanks for putting some time in to figure it out.

I guess i will be getting a c10 somewhere down the road after all!

Sent from the F-Zero cockpit on my D2G