SD card damaged, as reported by Droid!

valnar

Reaction score
My Motorola Droid has reported the SD card is damaged when I looked at it this morning! So everything on my SD card is lost. It recommended that I reformat the card, which it won't do, so it must be a bad card.

I am going to buy a replacement 16GB card today, but my question is...

How is the Droid going to recognize and reconsile the applications that were installed on it? I installed a few apps directly to the SD card, so what happens to those? Can I uninstall them cleanly and reinstall them, or will they be in limbo?

What is the usual course of action after this happens?

Reaction score
plug ur droid into ur computer. but first save all contents on ur sdcard if u want because we are now going to manually format the card since it wont let u format on it's own. simply copy and past all contents on sdcard into a folder u make for your sdcard on to your computer and name the folder what ever you would like. this now will delete all contents on your sdcard. then once u know your card is clear of any contents (completely empty sdcard). and all of your contents that was on the sd should now be in a folder u made on your computer. shutdown phone or pull battery. then wait about 10 seconds with battery pulled out. put battery back together. boot up ur phone and there should be no errors. now place all contents in the folder u made for ur sdcard onto ur droid. from ur computer to ur droid. dont foget to mount ur sdcard of nothing will happin. sorry i didnt mention that in the beginning figued u may allready know. when all is done transfering to ur phones sdcard. thats it. it may say damaged again if it does power off phone, pull battery for about 10 seconds then put it back together and ur card should be free from damage. sdcards get overloaded when tranfering large amounts of info back and forth. so go with the flow and take it easy on them little soldiers of hard drive.
long live Chuck Norris!!!

OP
V

valnar

Reaction score
I can't even read the card on my PC. I have a SD-to-USB adapter which used to work all the time, but this time doesn't. It has errors on files and folders. Every now and then I can pull a directory listing, but copying makes it error instantly.

Reaction score
turn off phone.
hold down x and power at the same time.
when u see the moto logo, let go of power and keep holdin x
when u see the recovery screen
go to partitions
find usb mass storage
plug ur phone to ur computer
then scroll down to usb mass storage with volume keys
select usb mass storage by pressing the camera button
u can now mount and dismount and view all contents on ur sdcard to your computer
and follow the steps i first replied. power button also lets u go back to pryor menu if u go to far

holla back youngin!!! hope this works it should.
let me know if it does or doesnt

Reaction score
turn off phone.
hold down x and power at the same time.
when u see the moto logo, let go of power and keep holdin x
when u see the recovery screen
go to partitions
find usb mass storage
plug ur phone to ur computer
then scroll down to usb mass storage with volume keys
select usb mass storage by pressing the camera button
u can now mount and dismount and view all contents on ur sdcard to your computer
and follow the steps i first replied. power button also lets u go back to pryor menu if u go to far

holla back youngin!!! hope this works it should.
let me know if it does or doesnt
also power button lets you go back a menu if u go to far

Droidlover911

Reaction score
I had the same thing happen to me on my Droid X on Sunday. My phone was being a bit slow and locking up so I pulled off the battery to reboot it and now it is saying that the SD card is blank or has unsupported files. I did not want to format it but even when I pressed the button to format, the error message will not go away until I remove the card from the phone. I had some good video and pics on there and now I want to get them. Any way I can still save the data on the card? Is the SD card bad or do I just need to follow the above directions? What is the red X button? Sorry for sounding dumb, my hubby is a VZW employee and he was not even sure why it was doing this either. Thanks.

EDIT: Also I used a photo as a wallpaper on my phone and it was on the card but the wallpaper photo is still there but it is not in the gallery? Weird.

Last edited:

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
The 'x' button is for Droid 1 users. However, unless you can get your card to read on your pc via an adapter, you might be sol. There's also the option to power off the phone, take out the sdcard, then gently clean the terminals on it with a gentle toothbrush and _maybe_ some rubbing alcohol. Whatever you do, don't use water.

good luck

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
What teddy said. I'd suggest you not use the rubbing alcohol, see if it helps, and then IF you're going to do that use a cotton swab and the alcohol, do NOT use it to excess, and make sure it dries before putting it back in anything. Try it in any other device you can before tossing it, and try to reformat it if at all possible. Sometimes these things just screw up.