Scuba Decompression App

Aquabach

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm not an app developer. But I was wondering if anyone is working on an app for scuba with a decompression model. Something like Deco planner or V planner.

The only apps for scuba are non technical diving apps with the exception of a mixing app that I would buy if there was a deco app too.

I know Iphone has an app ( don't know anything about it) and there was D planer for the old Palm. and probably others but I can't find anything for the Droid.

Hope I posted this in the correct place.
Thanks

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
I guess a dive planner app that syncs with your Gdocs or something would be cool (as a free app), but for me if the decomp tables are in my phone on shore, probably wouldn't do much for me.

alostpacket

Reaction score
What does an app like this do? I'm not a diver but I find it curious :)

OP
A

Aquabach

Reaction score
Ignorance

I guess a dive planner app that syncs with your Gdocs or something would be cool (as a free app), but for me if the decomp tables are in my phone on shore, probably wouldn't do much for me.

Sorry you only dive on shore.
Sometimes the dive site planned is changed due to weather conditions. Or you change your deco mixs because of an equipment problem and it would be nice to be able to cut new tables. Someone may have forgotten their cut tables at home and would have to sit out the dive. Sometimes an opportuity or an emergency comes up that you didn't/couldn't plan for. There are numerous reasons that having access to deco planning on the boat would be helpful. So I'd be happy to PAY for a good app.

And if this app wouldn't do anything for you why post?
An app that shows golf courses would do nothing for me but I wouldn't bother posting on a thread asking about them.

OP
A

Aquabach

Reaction score

Alostpacket,
Sorry, I didn't see your post B4. I listed several reasons responding to BikeGuy.
Often, I take a laptop on the boat if deep or exploration dives are planned but not usually. Having access to a good decompression program on my phone which is always on the boat is a nice back up for unforeseen circumstances. This isn't something needed for recreational divers although regular tables someone may like to have.
There are programs that technical divers use to plan their dives and write their decompression stops on a slate. A decompression stop is depths you have to stop and stay at for a period of time as you ascend to the surface. If you didn't, you'd get decompression sickness ( the bends).
Decompression stops and times change depending on depth of dive, time at depth, and what breathing gases you have.

alostpacket

Reaction score

Alostpacket,
Sorry, I didn't see your post B4. I listed several reasons responding to BikeGuy.
Often, I take a laptop on the boat if deep or exploration dives are planned but not usually. Having access to a good decompression program on my phone which is always on the boat is a nice back up for unforeseen circumstances. This isn't something needed for recreational divers although regular tables someone may like to have.
There are programs that technical divers use to plan their dives and write their decompression stops on a slate. A decompression stop is depths you have to stop and stay at for a period of time as you ascend to the surface. If you didn't, you'd get decompression sickness ( the bends).
Decompression stops and times change depending on depth of dive, time at depth, and what breathing gases you have.

Ah interesting, thanks much for the explanation :). So I gather it something to help you plan before diving, but nothing you would use in a life critical situation? I guess I worry that Android isn't stable enough and even a planning app you would want to be sure you had a good bunch of developers with many unit tests and beta testing before using something like that.

OP
A

Aquabach

Reaction score

Ah interesting, thanks much for the explanation :). So I gather it something to help you plan before diving, but nothing you would use in a life critical situation? I guess I worry that Android isn't stable enough and even a planning app you would want to be sure you had a good bunch of developers with many unit tests and beta testing before using something like that.

The idea is to be able to use it in life critical situations.The algorithms for decompression theory are complex. I'm hoping someone could take an existing program like the ones I mentioned and make an app for the Droid. It could then be tested, dry, by comparing dive "missions" to the existing program. They did it for the Palm years ago. 1 program is called deco planner and for the palm it was "D" planner. It was close. I heard there was a deco program for the Ipod but don't know anything about it.
There is a gas mixing app available that if you use would also be life critical. At least you can test the gas before you dive with an analyzer but it is critical.

FlipBack

Reaction score
This would be good to use as a back up if I leave my charts and my dive computer in the hotel room...okay that last bit will never happen.

OP
A

Aquabach

Reaction score
Sorry

This would be good to use as a back up if I leave my charts and my dive computer in the hotel room...okay that last bit will never happen.
Wow. Another ignorant dork....
What?

How so?
Sorry. I must have over reacted, I guess you were joking and left your stuff behind before.
I was surprised when I made my first post that the first response was rather obnoxious;( ''..decomp tables in phone on shore wouldn't do much for me...")
I don't get why people have a need to post opinions on questions that are never asked.
It's like you stopping someone on the street asking if they know where a Chinese restaurant is and instead of saying ,"Sorry, no." They say, " I would never eat Chinese food It's made of dead cats!" I think it's rude to do things like that so I got annoyed and looked at your response like his. I apologize for being rude.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
One option would be to contact the maker of the program for other phones and ask if they have plans for an android version, that you used their palm version and you are looking for an android version you could purchase but see nothing in the market. At the same time ask that if they don't have plans (could be a lack of programming skills for this platform) do they know of someone who does make such an app for android?

Good luck.

OP
A

Aquabach

Reaction score
Thanks

One option would be to contact the maker of the program for other phones and ask if they have plans for an android version, that you used their palm version and you are looking for an android version you could purchase but see nothing in the market. At the same time ask that if they don't have plans (could be a lack of programming skills for this platform) do they know of someone who does make such an app for android?

Good luck.
Good idea. I'll look them up.
Thanks

jeffsix

Reaction score
This could be a good idea and I don't think it would take much effort to get it done. Since you've used an app like this on another platform, give me some ideas on what the interface you'd want would look like and the functionality that should be provided.

Hello,
I'm not an app developer. But I was wondering if anyone is working on an app for scuba with a decompression model. Something like Deco planner or V planner.

The only apps for scuba are non technical diving apps with the exception of a mixing app that I would buy if there was a deco app too.

I know Iphone has an app ( don't know anything about it) and there was D planer for the old Palm. and probably others but I can't find anything for the Droid.

Hope I posted this in the correct place.
Thanks

OP
A

Aquabach

Reaction score
Not sure it would be easy

This could be a good idea and I don't think it would take much effort to get it done. Since you've used an app like this on another platform, give me some ideas on what the interface you'd want would look like and the functionality that should be provided.

Hello,

Thanks
I wouldn't think it was easy to do but I'm not a programmer or app developer.
Some basics:
You'd have to have access to a decompression model such as [SIZE=-1]Buhlmann, [/SIZE]DCIEM, RGBM etc.Without a good accurate decompression model, the app would be useless, or worse. Check out www.thedecstop.com. There is a slew of discussion on decompression models.

I don't know how it should look. but it should be neat and easy to navigate. The app would need to have inputs of depth, time, back gas mix of 02 He ( remaining would be N2) , Deco mixes (same gases02,N2) ,depth of switches, surface interval for subsequent dives , at the least.
Off the cuff here's an example of some input items underlined parts are titles of input and calculated items. This is real basic.

Depth Time 02 He PPO2 Depth 02 He PPO2
Input input input input calc Gas1 input input input calc
Gas2 etc
Gas3

Input items of Gradient factors Low % and High %

Dive Plan
Depth Time 02 He PPO2 02 He
After calculating all inputs Table shows all depth and gas switches with time /decompression obligation at specified depths.

Totals:
Dive time Deco Time Run Time No Deco gas ( No deco gas is calc if deco gases are lost and diver must do deco on first gas)

For subsequent dives: Surface Interval ( Time between dives input) so system does offgassing between dives

Then enter all info as done for first dive or just depth and time for second and third dive.

Again, this is quick off my head but having access to a good decompression model and testing the app that it calcs correctly is EXTREMELY crucial. People have gotten decompression sickness using dive computers (not programs) that failed to update the surface interval gas to air. So the model and the accuracy of its use is paramount.