Screen won't come on

spudland

Reaction score
I tried searching and couldn't find anything on this issue. I have a Droid Bionic that's rooted but running everything stock. For the past week I've had major issues just getting my phone to wake up. Normally, you press the power button and the screen lights up and you can slide your finger across the phone to unlock it and off you go. My phone's been acting very weird. I press the power button and the screen may do one of several things. It may light up, let me unlock it (I have no password set up so a simple swipe from left to right and it's ready to go) and do whatever I need to do. It may light up for less than a second and before I can swipe to open the screen turns off. It may not light up at all, but when I swipe I feel a vibration and I can tell it "opened" but the screen remains black. I go back and forth pressing the power button and the screen stays black but the home, back, settings, search buttons on the bottom of the phone light up with every other push. So far the only way to get the phone to work is battery pull restart but if I turn the phone off I'm screwed again. Anyone else have this problem before? This phone has been babied since day one...never dropped...but it's about to be thrown against a wall!:mad:

OP
S

spudland

Reaction score
Coming from the Palm Pre and the PreCentral community I guess I had unrealistic expectations moving to an Android community. You see, over there they actually have members who help each other out when they have problems, regardless of how big or how small they might be. It's too bad Palm died because it's taken down the last non-apple group that gives a crap about their products and their support community. I'd read many posts about how the Palm community was so much better than anything else and now I know why...

altspeed

Reaction score
Dallas, Lone Star Republic, North America, Terra
Have you considered what most would consider the first step of your diagnosis? If you have adequate app and data backups you should do a factory data reset and then manually restore an app at a time until you figure out if one is causing the issue. What system build are you on? Under exactly what circumstances did the issue originally present itself?

OP
S

spudland

Reaction score
Have you considered what most would consider the first step of your diagnosis? If you have adequate app and data backups you should do a factory data reset and then manually restore an app at a time until you figure out if one is causing the issue. What system build are you on? Under exactly what circumstances did the issue originally present itself?

Thanks for your response. Yes, I had considered a reset. I just wanted to know if anyone in the community had gone done this same path before because I'm one who likes to learn from others and not re-invent the wheel so to speak. The culprit seems to be Light Flow Lite - LED Control. Once I disabled this app the problem went away. Maybe it's just my device and conflicting with something else I have...I'll notify the developer and move on until I hear back from them.

keeleon

Reaction score
I tried searching and couldn't find anything on this issue. I have a Droid Bionic that's rooted but running everything stock. For the past week I've had major issues just getting my phone to wake up. Normally, you press the power button and the screen lights up and you can slide your finger across the phone to unlock it and off you go. My phone's been acting very weird. I press the power button and the screen may do one of several things. It may light up, let me unlock it (I have no password set up so a simple swipe from left to right and it's ready to go) and do whatever I need to do. It may light up for less than a second and before I can swipe to open the screen turns off. It may not light up at all, but when I swipe I feel a vibration and I can tell it "opened" but the screen remains black. I go back and forth pressing the power button and the screen stays black but the home, back, settings, search buttons on the bottom of the phone light up with every other push. So far the only way to get the phone to work is battery pull restart but if I turn the phone off I'm screwed again. Anyone else have this problem before? This phone has been babied since day one...never dropped...but it's about to be thrown against a wall!:mad:

I'm having almost this exact problem on my rooted Droid 4. The screen will go black, and then pressing the power button does nothing. SOMETIMES I will get the thing where I can feel the unlock button and the home keys light up but not the screen. My battery is unremoveable, so the only way to reset the phone is a soft reset by holding the volume down and power button for like 20 seconds, but even that doesn't seem to work all the time, and I have no way of knowing if it's even off or on, so I have gone hours trying to get my phone on. I think I narrowed it down to the autorotate, because when I unchecked that the phone actually stayed on for a while BUT whenever I sould slide the keyboard (causing the scrren to rotate) it would lock up and freeze/ shut off (dont really know...) right in front of me.

I haven't installed any apps recently and the closest thing I can think of to "symptoms" is I installed a new ringtone from an app about a month ago and the volume on it was very low even turned up to the maximum, and I didn't have the time to futz with it and check out why. Also I had a few "pixelation glitches", that came and went but didnt seem to affect anything. I did a factory reset and the problem still happens whenever I slide out the keyboard. I ended up calling Verizon and they're sending a new one out. Don't have an answer, but figured I'd put this here so you dont feel alone ;P