screen unlock security

m00nbeast

Reaction score
Hello good people,

I Googled for an answer to this and even called VZ tech support before turning to online help. So, I had gotten the new Droid2 for an employee and when it asked me to set up a pin as I set up the corporate email account on our Exchange 2007 server, I did so because it wouldn't allow me to proceed without it. This isn't forced on any other smartphone we have on the office.

After I had the phone set up, I found that it automatically turned on the 'screen unlock security' so that after 15 minutes of inactivity, I have to enter that pin to unlock the phone.

When I went to turn it off, the option to do so is greyed out and it says 'disabled by remote phone administrator'.

Looking at the ActiveSync options in the management console for Exchange 2007, I see that passwords are not being forced and I can't find any other pertinent options that would allow me to change this setting.

Does anyone know if this is a bug or if there is a way to get around this?

Thanks for your time and help with this matter :)

PHolt

Reaction score
Disabled by remote phone administrator

Hey m00n,

I'm having the same problem, but I'm on a Droid 1. Curious to know what your VZW tech support said in regards to the issue. I have the FRG22 build installed and in the Screen unlock security option on the screen lock feature, None, Pattern and PIN are all greyed out with "Disabled by remote phone administrator".

You're not alone...

OP
m00nbeast

m00nbeast

Reaction score
Thank goodness I'm not the only one... not that I'm happy it's happening to others.

VZW tech support was baffled. Never heard of it and hadn't seen the issue on their FAQ list.

They said that they think it lies somewhere in the Exchange server settings. Seems reasonable enough but I can't find the setting to save my life.

Luckily the employee that got the phone is happy with the feature but I'm sure we'll get more of these phones and I'm sure not everyone will like it.

radioactive

Reaction score
Thank goodness I'm not the only one... not that I'm happy it's happening to others.

VZW tech support was baffled. Never heard of it and hadn't seen the issue on their FAQ list.

They said that they think it lies somewhere in the Exchange server settings. Seems reasonable enough but I can't find the setting to save my life.

Luckily the employee that got the phone is happy with the feature but I'm sure we'll get more of these phones and I'm sure not everyone will like it.
I have the same issue. See the post
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...s-screen-unlock-pin-use-pattern-new-post.html

OP
m00nbeast

m00nbeast

Reaction score
Thank you. Hopefully we'll see an update or something that allows us to get past this.

Burnicus

Reaction score
This was actually a selling point of the new OS. The added security allows it to be used in more restrictive environments. The only way to remove it is within the exchange activesync policy itself. Even once it's removed, you may have to wipe the device to get rid of the sec policy.

OP
m00nbeast

m00nbeast

Reaction score
Thanks for the information Burnicus. My Exchange servers ActiveSync policy was never set to require a pin or password. I seem to have been already set to give the Droid2 user the ability to set it up how they want to but to no avail.

Burnicus

Reaction score
So I double checked our exchange policy this morning and it also does not enforce a password policy. I created a new policy and cleared all of the options from the password policy. I then restored the device to factory defaults and resynched. Still hosed.....:icon_evil:

It appears that this issue is a Motorola policy that applies regardless of IT policy. I'm calling them as soon as I can find the time and will try to update with the results.

zztzm3

Reaction score
security fix

I found it! all you have to do is remove your corporate email account, then you can change or disable the security screen. After that, add your account again and there isn't the remote administrator issue.