Screen turns off during phone call then will not wake up until hang up

Danthok

Reaction score
While making a phone call the screen times out and goes blank, this should be normal to enhance battery life. However, I have had a problem with the screen coming back up when I would like to hang up or dial on the number pad. It seems to work intermittently.

Funny story: I was calling a friend and got his voicemail when this issue happened so I could not hang up to stop recording. So my friend got about 30 seconds of me cussing at my phone trying to get it to respond. Needless to say hilarity ensued.

Anyone else having this issue?

profuse101

Reaction score
I'm having the exact same issue, been looking around for a solution, but it seems the best thing to do now is report the error to verizon and build up enough cases for them to encourage google/moto to release a fix.

jweber

Reaction score
Phone screen

Do you have a verizon screen protector on your phone? I know some of the after market screen protectors do not have a cutout for the sensor.

Ran into the same problem with my wifes enV Touch had no problems at first but the thin buildup of oils from her skin acted like a mirror and prevent the screen from comming back on. First step would be to make sure the sensor isn't covered by the plastic screen protector.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Not quite sure if you did this but after you were all set up and got the device activated and running on VZW's network did you turn off the device and pull out the batttery and let everything reset?

Reason I ask is because after I went through the activation process, setting up emails etc etc. The phone acted a little wonky. I shut it down and reset it and haven't had a problem since.

Not saying this will work but it's worth a shot and as jweber said above make sure nothing is covering up the proximity sensor (upper right corner or device above led)

lumns

Reaction score
i've had the same problems before i put on a screen protector and after. my screen protector does have the light sensing cut outs

OP
Danthok

Danthok

Reaction score
I do not have a screen protector on my phone.

@ cereal killer - I will try to battery pop out and post whether it helps. Never thought of doing that.

Update - battery pop out did not have an effect.

Last edited:

JTAG

Reaction score
Same problem...Has anyone come up with a fix? I have tried sliding out the keyboard and the screen image reappears.

lumns

Reaction score
hmmmm.....at least thats an option.

hopefully they fix this

OP
Danthok

Danthok

Reaction score
Either I have been having good luck with my phone or I figured it out.

The past couple phone calls I have been pushing the touch screen against the side of my face while on the phone and every time I have taken the phone away the screen wakes up immediately. Leaves a smudgy mess but at least it wakes up.

Like I said dunno if this is luck or not.

pilot25

Reaction score
I have been on a couple long calls today and it didn't replicate from the first time.

You have to push the power button for it to come on. Takes a second.

seaman

Reaction score
There is a sensor in the phone that knows when the phone is held to your head. When it senses that the phone is to your head the screen goes black to preserve the battery. When you move the phone away from your head, the screen wakes up. There may be a slight delay before it wakes up.

lumns

Reaction score
That's the problem it doesn't wake up. I have to wait till the other person hangs up