Screen turns off during phone call then will not wake up until hang up

Gafzini

Reaction score
i have seen issue where people had the screen not waking up simply because their thumb was over the sensor so the phone thinks it up to the callers ear.

The sensor is in the top left corner of the phone. This is easy to do with your left thumb when you don't know you're doing it. I pointed this out to someone with this problem and once they were conscious of what they were doing, they never had the problem again.

See if that helps.

SHAK3R

Reaction score
I am having the same issue. While I'm on a call with phone to ear and then have to use the dialpad my screen goes in and out and sometimes stays out. Hitting the power buttons does nothing.

My only solutions for me right now is, if I know I'm gonna need to use the dialpad I start the call on speaker and never put it to my ear.

I have a similar story to the original poster with leaving a voicemail with not being able to control the phone.

toddj

Reaction score
Mine is doing the same thing. I'm on my 2nd droid - sent my first one in for an unrelated issue. Now the proximity sensor isn't working in this replacement at all. (uninstalled atk and disabled automatic brightness as cereal suggested.)
Even yanked the battery then performed a factory reset all to no avail. Going to unroot and update to 2.1 to see if MAYBE bugless beast 1.1 is causing the issue. If not, I suppose I'll send this one back as well :(

edit: back to stock with no additional apps installed. same problem =/ time to call verizon again

Last edited:

cassidyathena

Reaction score
I had both problems -- the only time the screen stayed on during a call was when it was up to my ear. Very frustrating. For a while the power button would turn the display on then that stopped working -- only sliding out the keyboard would do it. Then finally I had to leave the keyboard out to keep the display on. Also it dims out too early despite my specifying 10 minutes in settings. After reading the threads here, I uninstalled Advanced Taskmanager and now the screen seems to work correctly during calls, though it still dims out too early. Still, a marked improvement, so thanks for the info!