Screen turns off during phone call then will not wake up until hang up

BILLBORRMANN

Reaction score
Re: Screen turns off while making phone calls.

I had the same problem and it bothered me for days. One of the other posts mentioned AFTERMARKET screen protectors without a cut out for the censor. Well sure enough I pealed the protector back and cut the corner off and it fixed the problem!!!:icon_ banana:

Switchback

Reaction score
I have the same issues, I only find it to happen sporatically, however I was indoors everytime it happened.

Basically while on a call I will move it away from my face and it comes back, except when the time I want to end the call, so I either have to wait till the other party hangs up or pull the battery (in the case of a Voicemail)

This has happened about 4 or 5 times so far.

djgriffin

Reaction score
I continue to have the same problem. I have to pull the batter to reset my phone at least 4-5 times a week for the screen going dark during a call that last longer than the timeout screen. There is no way to wake it up (like pushing top button or opening keyboard). This seems to be a big issue. Otherwise I love my Droid!(PS I don't use many apps)

S281

Reaction score
Argh, my replacement droid does this. It doesnt randomly reset like my old phone, but the not waking up after calls is an effin beat down. Sometimes it wakes up only after the other person hangs up, other times its a battery pull. Any chance the update will fix this prob?

OP
Danthok

Danthok

Reaction score
I seem to be having good luck with the update. I know I posted a couple days ago that my phone fixed itself but the problem came back. Did the manual update today and have yet to see the problem. Hopefully they fixed it......fingers crossed.

Vladimir

Reaction score
restart your phone, by pulling the battery, if that doesnt do it, the new update seems to have fixed this issue as mine doesnt do it anymore... ps. you have to hit the lock/unlock is all, not that big of a deal to turn screen back on.

S281

Reaction score
restart your phone, by pulling the battery, if that doesnt do it, the new update seems to have fixed this issue as mine doesnt do it anymore... ps. you have to hit the lock/unlock is all, not that big of a deal to turn screen back on.
The lock/unlock doesnt always work to wake mine back up for some reason.

pepper3778

Reaction score
So how do I get the phone to stop disconnecting during calls? It either mutes or speaker phone goes on or it disconnects. Sometimes it activates the keypad. Very annoying because it hangs up on people or they can't hear me. My friends are tired of this and so am I.

pepper3778

Reaction score
How do I get it to stop hanging up on people. In the middle of the call it ends the call. Other times it mutes or the keypad activates. Very annoying, especially when it hangs up on people.

byronnash

Reaction score
Update: Problem solved!!! I went back to the Verizon store to talk to some techs there about it. They had never heard of the problem before and were shocked to see the phone blank out using the method I described to you earlier. The store manager, who also owns a droid, came and talked to me. We did the test with his personal device and the phone never blanked out. Also tried a brand new droid with no problems. He figures there are defective sensors out there causing the problem.

They swapped me with a new droid, synced everything back to the phone. This is important to note, because the new device was set up with the exact same applications, settings, everything. It was identical to my phone in every way except for the new hardware. I took it outside for a quick test and didn't have the problem! Woo hoo! To me, this confirms absolutely that the sensor in my old device was defective. They're going to send the old one back for testing and hopefully improve quality control of the proximity sensors.

In short, if you are having the same problem and none of the other suggestions work (remove certain apps, auto bright control etc), then your sensor is defective! Take it back and get a new one!

Cheers
I've been having this problem like jamsesh is talking about. I downloaded the Sensor app and it acts very similar to how he described it previously. The sensor does not react correctly in a shadow outdoors or very well in interior overhead lighting. It doesn't happen on every call, but it has happened since I got it and before and after I put a screen protector on.

Some people also say they can't hear me very well on a call, I am thinking I just need to take the phone back in to the store. I just wanted to check the consensus on this thread once more before I go down there.

whiddles

Reaction score
[/QUOTE]I've been having this problem like jamsesh is talking about. I downloaded the Sensor app and it acts very similar to how he described it previously. The sensor does not react correctly in a shadow outdoors or very well in interior overhead lighting. It doesn't happen on every call, but it has happened since I got it and before and after I put a screen protector on.

Some people also say they can't hear me very well on a call, I am thinking I just need to take the phone back in to the store. I just wanted to check the consensus on this thread once more before I go down there.[/QUOTE]

Also have the same problems. I called the 611 # and they told me that the update will fix it and its still the same after the update. they also told me that if that didn't work to wait till the begining january for another over the air update which may fix it. if the updates don't fix it i have a defect he said and bring it to verizon

Last edited:

Jimbo

Reaction score
I had the same issues and all I can say is I took my phone back to the store and they also never heard of that problem (which is hard to believe) and they replace the phone with a new one. Problem solved. They said since my phone was one of the earlier models it may have been defective. No problems since the new phone.

Z-Droid

Reaction score
bright light screen blackout on calls

i have had the same problem when outdoors on bright days. the only thing i could do to make the phone work after this happened was to pull the battery. just turned off the auto brightness function so tomorrow i will see if it fixed the problem. possible as i tested under a bright halogen lamp and it seemed to work properly.

thanks to this forum again!

raloh

Reaction score
im having ame problems got a new fone today and first call it did same thing, wont wake after i take away from face. brand new