Screen Shot for non-rooted droid

ben.keen

Reaction score
I've done several searches on this topic and it looks like you are unable to capture screen shots from a non-rooted Android Device. With 2.2's improved corporate email services, I've been asked to draft instructions for how to set up the active sync client for my mobile device users for the company I work for. Yes, I know I can probably find some already written with screen shots but my company wants some specific things include on these instructions. Rooting my device is not an option because part of my document that will be going to these users says "rooted devices will not be supported" and since I'm the author of the document I don't want to set a double standard so I'm wondering, short of using a digital camera and taking pictures of my screen, does anyone have any other ideas on how to take screen shots of any non-rooted Android based device?

OP
ben.keen

ben.keen

Reaction score
Off-topic, but how do you plan on preventing users from rooting their devices?

On-topic, I believe you can take screenshots using ADB.

Edit:
Taking screenshots on your G1 - Even if you have RC30 - Android Forums

It's an old post, but you'll get the gist of what to do.

Well we really can't stop someone from rooting their device but we can deny their request for support if we discover their device is rooted. It's a real pain in the butt yet that is what I'm being told from the top so I'll just work with what I got. I basically have come up with a data base of all the different "offical" System versions and Kernel Versions for the DI, D2, D1, and now with the release on the support page for the DX. If someone complains that their active sync is having issues and I discover their device to be rooted, I can just tell them that since it is rooted, I cannot support that device since in theory, a leaked OS can and sometime does have issues that could prevent a sync from occuring. And people wonder why I got gray hair LOL.

Thanks for the link, I'll try that out and see if that works.