Screen Rotation?

JandN2639

Reaction score
Within a few months of purchase, our Samsung Galaxy S7's screen rotation failed. Whatever position the phone is in, it remains in portrait setting.
How can we fix this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Did you happen to turn off the screen rotation? Check the quick settings to make sure that it's not locked into portrait mode and that autorotate is still enabled.

bruben7886

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Are you using good lock for a lockscreen?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

OP
J

JandN2639

Reaction score
Autorotate is not disabled. We use Glance Plus.

bruben7886

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm.... Don't know glance plus. Does it change your settings based on location.... Sounds, Bluetooth, etc?
If so, it might have a screen rotation setting in it based on location.
Just a suggestion based on my experience.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

OP
J

JandN2639

Reaction score
Actually, my husband says that if he moves the phone in an S, although it can take multiple tries, it does change rotation.
Why doesn't it just change when we turn the phone, as our iPhone does (except with certain apps)?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Never heard of that app either. Keep in mind that any app you get that requires an overlay on top of your display could mess with the stock functions of your device.

Maybe try disabling glance plus to see if that's the culprit to your screen rotation issue

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum..
You could try starting the phone in safe mode and opening the video player or YouTube to test whether it's an aftermarket app causing problem or if the gyroscope in the phone itself is bad.
131d11b621595dec494d86f979e7d507.jpg

Hope that helps.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><

OP
J

JandN2639

Reaction score
Actually, my husband says that if he moves the phone in an S, although it can take multiple tries, it does change rotation.
Why doesn't it just change when we turn the phone, as our iPhone does (except with certain apps)?

This is the actual situation.

We would like to get the Samsung Galaxy S7 to do screen rotation as easily and smoothly as our iPhone.

We don't want to change anything that might cause other problems.

Please advise in that regard.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
What apps are you trying to get to rotate? If you're trying directly from the home screen first then I don't think it rotates the homescreen.

Apps such as YouTube, Facebook, browser, etc. All should be able to rotate without any issues.

If your s7 isn't having that hard of a time rotating then you'll have to test if it's an app causing the issues (so take mountainbikermark's advice posted above) or could be a hardware issue, which means your device will have to be replaced.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This is the actual situation.

We would like to get the Samsung Galaxy S7 to do screen rotation as easily and smoothly as our iPhone.

We don't want to change anything that might cause other problems.

Please advise in that regard.

Safe Mode stops everything aftermarket from being used, making it so only the apps and services that came stock are active. It changes or deletes nothing and if the embedded stuff won't rotate it's the phone itself that is broken and needs to be replaced to stop the issue. Once you have determined which it is you simply power off the phone like normal, power it back on like normal and everything that was there and set up as you like will be like you never went into Safe Mode. It's not a reset of any kind.
Once you try that please post back with your results and we can try to help troubleshoot more if the rotation works in Safe Mode.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><

OP
J

JandN2639

Reaction score
Safe Mode stops everything aftermarket from being used, making it so only the apps and services that came stock are active. It changes or deletes nothing and if the embedded stuff won't rotate it's the phone itself that is broken and needs to be replaced to stop the issue. Once you have determined which it is you simply power off the phone like normal, power it back on like normal and everything that was there and set up as you like will be like you never went into Safe Mode. It's not a reset of any kind.
Once you try that please post back with your results and we can try to help troubleshoot more if the rotation works in Safe Mode.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><
YouTube rotated fine in Safe Mode, but since trying Safe Mode, several apps and folders have disappeared. ???
What should we do to resolve the rotation and lost app problems? There are lots of apps on the phone, and it's not rooted (we don't want to risk it).

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
YouTube rotated fine in Safe Mode, but since trying Safe Mode, several apps and folders have disappeared. ???
What should we do to resolve the rotation and lost app problems? There are lots of apps on the phone, and it's not rooted (we don't want to risk it).

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
So you rebooted back to normal and they didn't return?
Was there a notification in the upper panel related to your sd card?
Try powering off the phone, leave it off about a minute, power back up like normal. Please post back your findings but it sounds from the YouTube app working normally the phone being broken can be eliminated. It sounds like an app, perhaps your launcher. Try going to Phone Settings, scroll down to Default Applications, Tap Home and check one of the stock launchers instead of your aftermarket one. If rotation starts working it's your aftermarket launcher.
8da9a18eb8823b5ef1245177184e8a7b.jpg

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><

Last edited:
OP
J

JandN2639

Reaction score
We use TouchWiz. Isn't that a stock launcher?

OP
J

JandN2639

Reaction score
As for the apps, give me at least an hour--I can't get to that phone right now. And thanks!