Screen Re-draw madness!!

CletusVanDam

Reaction score
I just switched from LithMod 1.0.12 to CM6.0.0 and am having the worst time with screen re-draws. Constantly. Everytime I play any game, look at a webpage in my browser, or go on the Android Market, when I return to my homescreen everything is blank and I have to wait 10-15 seconds for the screen to come back. I didn't have this happen on LithMod, but on CM6, it happens constantly. Is anyone else having this problem?

Can anyone recommend a launcher and settings for the launcher that can prevent this? I have tried LauncherPro and ADW without success.

More Info:
-Droid 1
-Not using Live Wallpapers
-Widgets Used: Beautiful widgets, CM6 power widget, setcpu widget, and FB widget
-5 home screens
-Fiddled with memory usage settings on LauncherPro, no dice.

Any help is appreciated

Edit: Before anyone asks. YES, I did wipe three times before flashing to CM6.

Se7enLC

Reaction score
I just switched from LithMod 1.0.12 to CM6.0.0 and am having the worst time with screen re-draws. Constantly. Everytime I play any game, look at a webpage in my browser, or go on the Android Market, when I return to my homescreen everything is blank and I have to wait 10-15 seconds for the screen to come back. I didn't have this happen on LithMod, but on CM6, it happens constantly. Is anyone else having this problem?

Can anyone recommend a launcher and settings for the launcher that can prevent this? I have tried LauncherPro and ADW without success.

More Info:
-Droid 1
-Not using Live Wallpapers
-Widgets Used: Beautiful widgets, CM6 power widget, setcpu widget, and FB widget
-5 home screens
-Fiddled with memory usage settings on LauncherPro, no dice.

Any help is appreciated

Edit: Before anyone asks. YES, I did wipe three times before flashing to CM6.

Wiping three times is an urban myth - One wipe is enough.

Try changing the "lock home in memory" setting in CM rather than LP. It should be under Settings | CyanogenMod | Performance. I've had good luck using that with ADW, and I imagine it will be similar with LP. Home apps aren't able to actually enforce the "keep in memory" option (they can only suggest it), but the ROM itself is able to actually enforce it. The only time I get redraws in CM6 with ADW is when I change an ADW setting that requires a restart of ADW.

kevdog

Reaction score
Had terrible luck with latest LP and re-draws. I might have to go back to prior version.

drpaul07

Reaction score
The system persistent option under adw settings has worked quite well for me. Also a kernel that allows for compcache may help.

Sent from my Droid

OP
CletusVanDam

CletusVanDam

Reaction score

Try changing the "lock home in memory" setting in CM rather than LP. It should be under Settings | CyanogenMod | Performance. I've had good luck using that with ADW, and I imagine it will be similar with LP. Home apps aren't able to actually enforce the "keep in memory" option (they can only suggest it), but the ROM itself is able to actually enforce it. The only time I get redraws in CM6 with ADW is when I change an ADW setting that requires a restart of ADW.

I used to think the wiping three times thing was silly and unnecessary. I'm the Director of Info Sys at a large construction company, so I used to laugh at people who bothered to wipe 3x. Then I had a series of problems when installing a JRummy ROM, installed it two times and wouldn't get past the 'M' logo. Then I pulled the battery, booted into recovery and wiped 3x (rather than once, like before), reinstalled the ROM and didn't have a problem after that.

I tried the "keep in memory" option, it seems to be working better. But it still redraws every once in a while. I guess I can't have everything...

racketier

Reaction score

I used to think the wiping three times thing was silly and unnecessary. I'm the Director of Info Sys at a large construction company, so I used to laugh at people who bothered to wipe 3x. Then I had a series of problems when installing a JRummy ROM, installed it two times and wouldn't get past the 'M' logo. Then I pulled the battery, booted into recovery and wiped 3x (rather than once, like before), reinstalled the ROM and didn't have a problem after that.

I tried the "keep in memory" option, it seems to be working better. But it still redraws every once in a while. I guess I can't have everything...

The "keep in memory" option and compcache combo seems to work well for me. I occasionally have a redraw with ADW but not nearly as often as I used to pre-compcache.

I would also take a look at your home screens and remove any widgets you dont find necessary. I went from 5 homescreens to 4, and reduced the number of widgets. I think the less memory your launcher takes up the less chance it has to be killed

BoddhiC

Reaction score

huskerkate

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
samsonite801 has a script/toggle that worked wonders for my lag issues!!! it is:

If you use ADW or LauncherPro and if after using your browser, email or any other apps for awhile, then if you press the 'HOME' button, if it takes forever to redraw your home screen, and you are sick of that HORRIBLE LAG, then try this: In a terminal, type su and enter. Then type echo ro.HOME_APP_ADJ=1 >> /data/local.prop and enter. Then reboot. Now evaluate whether or not this fixes your lag. If you want to undo what this command does, simply remove that toggle from: /data/local.prop

i haven't tried the other links posted (cuz i got it fixed, and never had to go further), so i can't comment on their effectiveness...

Last edited:

brochaos

Reaction score
it will still redraw if you enter an app, switch keyboard, and then exit. if you can fix that in LP let me know and i'll buy you a beer! adw works great though, ZERO redraws.

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I'm not on the same rom but I too started having terrible redraws. I almost switched back to an earlier version then I decided to do this:

In sprecovery make a backup of DATA only. Back out to the main menu. Wipe data and clear cache at least 3 times (yes I know some don't think this is needed but I beg to differ). Restore your newly created DATA only backup. My redraws stopped. Something must be building up in the cache that slows the whole system. Worth a shot.....

comk4ver

Reaction score
i agree

the redraws are a serious draw back for me because i'm at work and on the phone surfing (whatever) and when i press homescreen it takes eternity (feels that way) to get back all my icons and even my non live wallpaper. I agree with the whole removing unnecessary widgets and app icons. idk on the less screens though. @blazed1 I can't find the refresh rate for setcpu, are you talking about the sampling rate?

blazed1

Reaction score
I think the only way to set the refresh rate is to do so when you create the widget. The option is labeled "Active Refresh Interval". I would recommend just setting it on Passive and see if that helps. In my opinion a refresh rate over 5 seconds is kind of pointless.