Screen question

mikekon

Reaction score
Yeah im where you are on the brightness. It is better than auto. But the screen in general is bothering me more and more. I really dont care about DPI like some have mentioned, I go by what my eyes see. And my OG Droid has a better screen than the nexus.

I could be being picky, but $299 isn't chump change.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

This phone isn't for everyone. You should return it for the rezound since its an LCD screen.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

OP
W

What316

Reaction score
This phone isn't for everyone. You should return it for the rezound since its an LCD screen.

No HTC for me. I love the Nexus. I waited, like a lot of OG owners, to find the right replacement. The nexus fits the bill, with the unlockable bootloader, no bloat (well almost), a good following of developers for ROMS. I'm just disappointed with the screen. Its almost 2012, not 1982. This pentile crap is ridiculous. I haaaaaaate apple wth a passion, but their screens are nice. And it pains me to say that lol.

Sent from my HP Touchpad using Tapatalk

mikekon

Reaction score
No HTC for me. I love the Nexus. I waited, like a lot of OG owners, to find the right replacement. The nexus fits the bill, with the unlockable bootloader, no bloat (well almost), a good following of developers for ROMS. I'm just disappointed with the screen. Its almost 2012, not 1982. This pentile crap is ridiculous. I haaaaaaate apple wth a passion, but their screens are nice. And it pains me to say that lol.

Don't know what to tell you then. Lol sounds like you're willing to live with the screen. Maybe you'll get used to it because like you said, there's a lot to kike about this phone.

steveky

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
As I've said in another post, I'm not very tech savvy so I don't really understand what pentile is. However, I did a comparison of the Razr, Nexus and my OG screen. I watched the same video clip off the ESPN website. I could easily read the player's stats at the bottom of the screen on my OG and the Razr. The resolution on the Nexus was very bad. It was legible, but I had to look at it longer to make it out. I understand the screen is supposed to be top of the line but can somebody to me why the resolution on the Nexus was worse than the moto phones? The sales associate at VZW said it might be the version of Flash installed on the Nexus. Based on some of the things being said, I'm wondering if it's because of how some of the colors are coming across.

mikekon

Reaction score
As I've said in another post, I'm not very tech savvy so I don't really understand what pentile is. However, I did a comparison of the Razr, Nexus and my OG screen. I watched the same video clip off the ESPN website. I could easily read the player's stats at the bottom of the screen on my OG and the Razr. The resolution on the Nexus was very bad. It was legible, but I had to look at it longer to make it out. I understand the screen is supposed to be top of the line but can somebody to me why the resolution on the Nexus was worse than the moto phones? The sales associate at VZW said it might be the version of Flash installed on the Nexus. Based on some of the things being said, I'm wondering if it's because of how some of the colors are coming across.

I'm not an expert but my guess as to why the ESPN video looked legible on the RAZR and OG is because of screen resolution.

The RAZR has a 4.3" screen, OG a 3.7" screen, and the Nexus a 4.65" screen. The video on ESPN (mobile site) is not HD quality so its not optimized to play on the Nexus. The video basically stretches to fit the screen in landscape mode.

The video may appear to be better on the other phones because its closer to its native resolution. Its like playing a DVD on a 55" HDTV. The picture looks grainy and not as clear but it doesn't mean that the screen is bad.

steveky

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
I'm not an expert but my guess as to why the ESPN video looked legible on the RAZR and OG is because of screen resolution.

The RAZR has a 4.3" screen, OG a 3.7" screen, and the Nexus a 4.65" screen. The video on ESPN (mobile site) is not HD quality so its not optimized to play on the Nexus. The video basically stretches to fit the screen in landscape mode.

The video may appear to be better on the other phones because its closer to its native resolution. Its like playing a DVD on a 55" HDTV. The picture looks grainy and not as clear but it doesn't mean that the screen is bad.

makes sense... thanks!

OP
W

What316

Reaction score
Don't know what to tell you then. Lol sounds like you're willing to live with the screen. Maybe you'll get used to it because like you said, there's a lot to kike about this phone.

Yeah, I mean the phone is just plain awesome, besides my ocd with the screen lol.

Quick question for ya...Do you (or anyone who reads this) use any screen protector? I'm starting to think that's part of my problem. I just want an opinion before I take it off... Because putting them on is not fun lol.

mikekon

Reaction score
Yeah, I mean the phone is just plain awesome, besides my ocd with the screen lol.

Quick question for ya...Do you (or anyone who reads this) use any screen protector? I'm starting to think that's part of my problem. I just want an opinion before I take it off... Because putting them on is not fun lol.

Personally, I don't. I used to have a Skinomi on my OG Droid but I took it off because it had gorilla glass.

Since the nexus has a fortified glass I don't see a reason (for me) to use one. I'm not hard on my phone so I'm not worried. My girlfriend had a screen protector on her Droid X and that definitely decreased the viewing quality.

You should stop by a store and look at the screen before you peel it off.

Tas

Reaction score
I don't think its flash cause I believe we don't have it yet. I think. All those gradients u speak of are ICS and not the screen. I went and checked the settings section and noticed the color variation. Darker on top and lighter on the bottom. It literally had no affect on me. Its not gonna bother me.

Also maybe you could try rooting and choosing a different theme and hopefully if they are out there yet, you could change the colors of your ics. I personally like I said wasn't bothered one bit by that. Maybe you'll get used to it. Maybe you wont. But don't let a few color gradients used in ICS make you wanna return an awesome phone.

And my hand is just getting used to reaching the far ends of the awesome screen without the need for both. :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

orion2001

Reaction score
The OP's issues seems to be with ICS UI design, not the Nexus screen.

Having said that, I've noticed a bunch of comments like oh the Nexus screen is way superior than the OG or is the best out there. With those statements, I have to strongly disagree.

If you are rating a screen purely on how crisp things look (i.e. pixel density and clarity), then the Rezound is easily the best display and the OG droid screen still beats out the Nexus due to the pentile display on the Nexus. I played extensively with the Galaxy Nexus, the Razr, the Rezound and my OG Droid, and the Rezound was easily the crispest and clearest display, especially when viewing small text. The OG droid was better than the Nexus at displaying small text and the cross-hatched pentile arrangement was visible (albeit nothing as bad as the Razr) giving the black text a slightly less solid - grey appearance. I am more sensitive to this, and it is easy for me to notice these things.

As far as colors go, it is a personal choice. Some like the saturated colors on AMOLED to LCD, others prefer the slightly more accurate color tones on the LCDs. Certainly, the AMOLED displays have more "pop" to them, but for me, the crispness and clarity of the display matters the most.

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez

What kind of screen protector do you have on your Nexus? That could very well be the problem. If you have the Verizon ones, remove them now! lol

I currently have Skinomi TechSkin on mine and my screen looks great. Screen brightness is set at 50%.

OP
W

What316

Reaction score
What kind of screen protector do you have on your Nexus? That could very well be the problem. If you have the Verizon ones, remove them now! lol

I currently have Skinomi TechSkin on mine and my screen looks great. Screen brightness is set at 50%.

I still have the same Verizon one on my OG that I put on over two years ago. So I bought one for the nexus...I didnt realize it was anti glare though. Didnt even cross my mind lol. So that was my problem. I went to check them at the store tonight and I take back anything bad I said about the screen! It was ridiculous how better the nexus was compared to every other phone. Only problem was they had no screen protectors. Was gonna get a zagg, but I'm gonna try the skinomi like you and Mike mentioned.

Thanks a lot guys, this is why I love Android! No apple fan boy snob smartasses around here lol. :D

mikekon

Reaction score
I still have the same Verizon one on my OG that I put on over two years ago. So I bought one for the nexus...I didnt realize it was anti glare though. Didnt even cross my mind lol. So that was my problem. I went to check them at the store tonight and I take back anything bad I said about the screen! It was ridiculous how better the nexus was compared to every other phone. Only problem was they had no screen protectors. Was gonna get a zagg, but I'm gonna try the skinomi like you and Mike mentioned.

Thanks a lot guys, this is why I love Android! No apple fan boy snob smartasses around here lol. :D

Nice! Glad it all worked out!

Creed

Reaction score
The OP's issues seems to be with ICS UI design, not the Nexus screen.

Having said that, I've noticed a bunch of comments like oh the Nexus screen is way superior than the OG or is the best out there. With those statements, I have to strongly disagree.

If you are rating a screen purely on how crisp things look (i.e. pixel density and clarity), then the Rezound is easily the best display and the OG droid screen still beats out the Nexus due to the pentile display on the Nexus. I played extensively with the Galaxy Nexus, the Razr, the Rezound and my OG Droid, and the Rezound was easily the crispest and clearest display, especially when viewing small text. The OG droid was better than the Nexus at displaying small text and the cross-hatched pentile arrangement was visible (albeit nothing as bad as the Razr) giving the black text a slightly less solid - grey appearance. I am more sensitive to this, and it is easy for me to notice these things.

As far as colors go, it is a personal choice. Some like the saturated colors on AMOLED to LCD, others prefer the slightly more accurate color tones on the LCDs. Certainly, the AMOLED displays have more "pop" to them, but for me, the crispness and clarity of the display matters the most.

Maybe to you it is not a great screen but for me, it is by far the greatest screen I have ever seen on a phone with the Rezound as a close second. The Original Droid is not even close. So it uses pentile, I can't tell, I can't even see the pixels let a lone the sub pixels and my vision is fine. Anyone complaining about the screen on this beast is nitpicking and if you think it is less good than the OG then I don't know what to say. It is in a class of its own and the Droid can't compete.

yomomma7826

Reaction score
LOL. This isn't a part of the screen, it's a part of the background in the apps. It's built into the theme of the app.