Screen question

What316

Reaction score
Hey all...Is there any way/hack to not have the screen get progressively lighter/darker? For example...in the settings, its lighter at the bottom than it is at the top. Same thing in tapatalk, until you go in a thread, then its fine.

I know its a normal ICS thing, but it's starting to bug me a little. Starting to miss my OG Droid a little bit lol.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

OCDroid

Reaction score
Apparently the OG has spoiled all of us. Welcome to the world of pentile screens. sorry. Maybe there is a fix for this or it doesn't even have anything to do with the nature of the screen itself, idk. I've also noticed the "graded" appearance on some screens like the ones in settings. Awesome screen that doesn't look all that great sometimes. Go figure.

scdown

Reaction score
Apparently the OG has spoiled all of us. Welcome to the world of pentile screens. sorry. Maybe there is a fix for this or it doesn't even have anything to do with the nature of the screen itself, idk. I've also noticed the "graded" appearance on some screens like the ones in settings. Awesome screen that doesn't look all that great sometimes. Go figure.

That's not a Pentile thing - that's an ICS thing - in the settings screen to which the OP refers, there definitely is a black to gray gradient applied.

OP
W

What316

Reaction score

Yeah, I guess. Pretty sad a 2+ year old phone has better screen. It sucks because the phone is amazing otherwise. I'll put up with it for now, but I'm bringing it back if cant tolerate it.

Why do they put crappy screens on great phones!? I think I'm gonna switch to an ipho...haha yeah right. Ew, just the thought of that makes me feel dirty lol.

Thanks for the input by the way, appreciate it.

Creed

Reaction score
That's not a Pentile thing - that's an ICS thing - in the settings screen to which the OP refers, there definitely is a black to gray gradient applied.

That is the truth...

The screen on the Nexus is amazing. It is possibly the best on the market currently, the problem you are having has to do with Androids rendering of colors (I think) or settings as the poster above has said. Although I am not sure what exactly you are talking about the problem is not the screen unless yours is defective.

mikekon

Reaction score
OP - are you using the auto brightness setting? It was more noticeable when the screen was dim. I was using auto brightness for a while to conserve battery but I switched it to fixed at around 40%. Haven't gone back and the gradient you speak of looks great!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

OCDroid

Reaction score
Yeah, I guess. Pretty sad a 2+ year old phone has better screen. It sucks because the phone is amazing otherwise. I'll put up with it for now, but I'm bringing it back if cant tolerate it.

Why do they put crappy screens on great phones!? I think I'm gonna switch to an ipho...haha yeah right. Ew, just the thought of that makes me feel dirty lol.

Thanks for the input by the way, appreciate it.

I wish I could flash a new screen onto my og. and more ram. :) My main gripe with this phone is the screen - with the brightness turned down, I can see vertical lines through pages like settings, facebook, gmail, etc. It's almost like the screen is dirty. I think I know what you're talking about though. The screens with a gradient background, like the one in settings can appear almost ladder-like, ie you can see horizontal blocks of graduated color in the gradient.

bmkdroid

Reaction score
Yeah, its just part of the ICS theme. I personally would rather have it all dark instead of the gradient as well.

Creed

Reaction score
I wish I could flash a new screen onto my og. and more ram. :) My main gripe with this phone is the screen - with the brightness turned down, I can see vertical lines through pages like settings, facebook, gmail, etc. It's almost like the screen is dirty. I think I know what you're talking about though. The screens with a gradient background, like the one in settings can appear almost ladder-like, ie you can see horizontal blocks of graduated color in the gradient.

The screen is probably one of the best features. It is gorgeous. I think you must not have the same Nexus others do.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
People are insane if they think the Nexus' screen is bad, comparing the OG to the Nexus is ridiculous. The OG DPI is 267 vs the Nexus 316 and it's nearly an inch bigger with 720P.

You can say you don't like pentile and you prefer RGB matrix, but you cannot say the screen is "bad".

I despised the Bionic's pentile screen and refused to buy it, the pentile used on the Nexus is nothing like it.

OCDroid

Reaction score
The screen is probably one of the best features. It is gorgeous. I think you must not have the same Nexus others do.

I really hope not. I'm taking it to the store to compare as soon as I get a chance. I find it hard to believe that everybody is looking at weird gradients and vertical streaks like I am (with the brightness down, or on auto), and not complaining about it. Like I am. lol.

Creed

Reaction score
Your standars are far too high or you have a bad unit. Those are your only real options.

mikekon

Reaction score
I really hope not. I'm taking it to the store to compare as soon as I get a chance. I find it hard to believe that everybody is looking at weird gradients and vertical streaks like I am (with the brightness down, or on auto), and not complaining about it. Like I am. lol.

It has been talked about. The general complaint is with how low auto brightness sets the screen. If you fix your screen brightness to about 40% it goes away.

The nexus screen is one of the best imo so I can't agree that the og droids screen is better.

OP
W

What316

Reaction score
OP - are you using the auto brightness setting? It was more noticeable when the screen was dim. I was using auto brightness for a while to conserve battery but I switched it to fixed at around 40%. Haven't gone back and the gradient you speak of looks great!

Yeah im where you are on the brightness. It is better than auto. But the screen in general is bothering me more and more. I really dont care about DPI like some have mentioned, I go by what my eyes see. And my OG Droid has a better screen than the nexus.

I could be being picky, but $299 isn't chump change.