Screen lock in Sunlight

kurtdogg50

Reaction score
Since day 1 I have been having this issue. My droid 2 will do a screen lock when the direct sunlight hits it. This leaves me unable to use my phone in the sunlight. The problem is not that it is too dim to see in the light, it is the fact that the screen actually does the "time out" like it would normally (I have mine set to time out after 30 seconds, but it does it immediately after the bright light hits it). I have only experienced this outdoors. Not one issue inside. I have tried turning my brightness up before I go outdoors, but that did not help. I don't know what the problem is.....any help would be appreciated.

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
Obviously this isn't normal...I've never heard of anything like this - congratulations. :)

You know what VZW will tell you to do before agreeing to replace your phone...Settings>Personal>Factory Reset.

But bottom line, you should get this fixed, or get a replacement phone.

OP
K

kurtdogg50

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I do not want to do a factory reset: too much time invested in customizing. But, funny story, I was in a verizon store not too long ago and I overheard a worker telling someone, " I guarantee if you do a factory reset it will fix any problem you have." No joke. I laughed to myself. I do not want them to send me a replacement just yet so I am going to continue to search for settings adjustments for the time being to fix this problem.
Also, I got the droid 2 as a warranty replacement for the droid 1. Lucky me! I love this phone.

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I do not want to do a factory reset: too much time invested in customizing. But, funny story, I was in a verizon store not too long ago and I overheard a worker telling someone, " I guarantee if you do a factory reset it will fix any problem you have." No joke. I laughed to myself. I do not want them to send me a replacement just yet so I am going to continue to search for settings adjustments for the time being to fix this problem.
Also, I got the droid 2 as a warranty replacement for the droid 1. Lucky me! I love this phone.

Good luck, but there is no "Lock screen in sunlight" setting. :)

You might want to try uninstalling apps in reverse order as well as you can remember (I think Downloads lists them in reverse order, actually) and see if you can find an app that might be causing it.

What customization are you worried about losing? All your apps and settings will restore automatically (including shortcuts, wifi settings, etc.), and you can back up your SMS w/SMS backup, I'm sure there's a call log backup available if that matters to you. The most I ever spend setting my phone back up again after a reset is about 10 minutes tops...

But you should fix this or get it replaced - could indicate worse things to come...