Screen Jumping / Phantom touches

tkstock

Reaction score
So, I dropped by Droid (1st generation) for the nth time, and the screen wouldn't come on. Fortunately, I was scheduled to upgrade next week, so I was able to get them to push it up so I could get the Droid X. Along with the phone, I purchased the Carbon Fiber case and screen protectors. All was fine for a while - synched, downloaded apps I used to have, etc.

Suddenly, my phone started getting what appeared to be phantom touches on the screen - I wasn't touching it, but the screen kept acting like I was. It was jumping side to side, selected a menu item, installed a shortcut, etc. My initial very informal testing seemed to point to the case. I took it off, and the phone still had an issue, even after reboot. So, I did a factory reset. All was fine for several hours, so I reinstalled the CF case. Within minutes, the phone started jumping around again like I was touching it, which I wasn't.

So, I removed the case, did another factory reset. Within a few minutes, the phone started having issues again. Could the screen protector be causing an issue? Has anyone else heard of an issue like this?

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Screen protector might be the cause.

Are you using the charger that came with your device? Aftermarket charges have been known to cause havok.

OP
tkstock

tkstock

Reaction score
Screen protector might be the cause.

Are you using the charger that came with your device? Aftermarket charges have been known to cause havok.

Thanks for the quick response. I'm using the Verizon / Moto charger. I hate to remove the screen protector - knowing how much those dang things are. But I might have to if I can't figure anything else out.

The other thing I forgot to mention is that the screen becomes fairly unresponsive during a twitching episode.

OP
tkstock

tkstock

Reaction score
about the charger issue I mentioned... http://www.droidforums.net/forum/te...-suggestions/4081-rogue-droid-huge-issue.html

I too bought screen protectors when I bought my Droid, but ended up tearing it off after reading about Gorilla glass on the D1...

I've got about 30 bucks worth of them laying around somewhere... sucks to waste money but it happens :)

Yeah, well I'm going to take those screen protectors back. Sure enough, I said screw it and took it off - the problem disappeared.

I went naked for many months on my D1 with only a few nicks / scratches in the glass. Hopefully this one will fair as well.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
what brand screen protector was it?

be good to have posted for future reference :)

UNC

Reaction score
So, I dropped by Droid (1st generation) for the nth time, and the screen wouldn't come on. Fortunately, I was scheduled to upgrade next week, so I was able to get them to push it up so I could get the Droid X. Along with the phone, I purchased the Carbon Fiber case and screen protectors. All was fine for a while - synched, downloaded apps I used to have, etc.

Suddenly, my phone started getting what appeared to be phantom touches on the screen - I wasn't touching it, but the screen kept acting like I was. It was jumping side to side, selected a menu item, installed a shortcut, etc. My initial very informal testing seemed to point to the case. I took it off, and the phone still had an issue, even after reboot. So, I did a factory reset. All was fine for several hours, so I reinstalled the CF case. Within minutes, the phone started jumping around again like I was touching it, which I wasn't.

So, I removed the case, did another factory reset. Within a few minutes, the phone started having issues again. Could the screen protector be causing an issue? Has anyone else heard of an issue like this?

I've had this issue before, it was actually a software issue... try changing kernels/roms.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
tkstock

tkstock

Reaction score
what brand screen protector was it?

be good to have posted for future reference :)

Damnit! That wasn't it after all. I took the protector off, and it worked fine until a minute ago, then started jumping around again.

The screen protectors are the ones provided there at the verizon store for $15. The charger I was using was the Motorola/Verizon charger.

So, just now, I had the phone off the charger, no screen protector, no protective case, and I'm still getting phantom actions.

Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to Verizon I go... this has to be an issue with the phone.

OP
tkstock

tkstock

Reaction score
I've had this issue before, it was actually a software issue... try changing kernels/roms.

I haven't rooted this phone. You had this issue with the stock kernel / ROM?

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Not to sound cynical....but did you clean your screen? My wifes X had some touch screen issues and I cleaned it and was all better.

Sent from somewhere...

OP
tkstock

tkstock

Reaction score
Not to sound cynical....but did you clean your screen? My wifes X had some touch screen issues and I cleaned it and was all better.

Yeah, I cleaned it. I just got the dang thing this morning - didn't have time to get all that dirty! :)

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Yeah, I cleaned it. I just got the dang thing this morning - didn't have time to get all that dirty! :)
Day old device?

Yea I'd go into Verizon and get it exchanged :)

maybe a software issue that's out of your control... esp. since you haven't rooted or changed kernels.

OP
tkstock

tkstock

Reaction score
Video

I just made a video of it.

I did a factory reset, went to log into my Google account, and it started freaking out again...

[video=youtube;Wr6mLzfKgLA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wr6mLzfKgLA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wr6mLzfKgLA[/video]

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think you're gonna have to make a trip to Verizon... :(

But on the bright side you should get a fully functional device! lol

OP
tkstock

tkstock

Reaction score
But on the bright side you should get a fully functional device! lol

I hope so. Of course, now I have the dilemma as to whether to use the screen protector or not. I'll keep the CF case now that I know that isn't the problem.