Screen goes black when placing a call

MAzing87

Reaction score
I swapped out my Droid for the one VZW sent because the original one would drop my calls and screen black out.

The replacement Droid works but one minor problem, every time I make a call the screen goes black and never lights up even when I press the power button. The only way the screen lights up is if I slide out to open the physical keys. Very annoying if I wanted to punch in numbers for voicemail, etc. This didn't happen in the original Droid. Can this be fixed? Or would I need to call VZW yet again.

JCo352

Reaction score
Are you making sure nothing is covering the proximity sensor, in the top left of your phone?

OP
MAzing87

MAzing87

Reaction score
Are you making sure nothing is covering the proximity sensor, in the top left of your phone?
Nothing should be covering it but I must mention that I am using the shell casing. I used it on my old Droid but it shouldn't be covering that anyway.

Reaction score
Try making a call "naked", and yea i mean the phone XD. See if it fixes it. A screen protector may also be the problem...

OP
MAzing87

MAzing87

Reaction score
Try making a call "naked", and yea i mean the phone XD. See if it fixes it. A screen protector may also be the problem...

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by calling naked. And I don't have a screen protector on like I did with my last phone. Just the hard shell casing. Could it be that the sensor isn't working?

toastedoats

Reaction score
same thing happened to me with one of my refurb replacements, just take it back to VZW and get another one

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by calling naked. And I don't have a screen protector on like I did with my last phone. Just the hard shell casing. Could it be that the sensor isn't working?

naked, meaning without a case on it. but that won't matter, no cases should cover the proximity sensor...

maybe give us a list of apps you have installed? there might be something fighting the screen sleep thing..

toastedoats

Reaction score
When I had issues with mine I did a factory wipe and the proximity sensor was even keeping the screen black on the activation dialer screen

OP
MAzing87

MAzing87

Reaction score

naked, meaning without a case on it. but that won't matter, no cases should cover the proximity sensor...

maybe give us a list of apps you have installed? there might be something fighting the screen sleep thing..
This happen well before I added any apps. I would dial a number and it would immediately go black. It won't light up if I press the power button, only when I slide the top out as if I wanted to use the keys. It's annoying that I have to deal with that. I am rooted also, so I'm gonna have to unroot, and go to Verizon again!

lchavez289

Reaction score
I swapped out my Droid for the one VZW sent because the original one would drop my calls and screen black out.

The replacement Droid works but one minor problem, every time I make a call the screen goes black and never lights up even when I press the power button. The only way the screen lights up is if I slide out to open the physical keys. Very annoying if I wanted to punch in numbers for voicemail, etc. This didn't happen in the original Droid. Can this be fixed? Or would I need to call VZW yet again.
I'm having the exact same problem. I took off my screen protector and my case... still nothing. What eerrkkss me is that I just got this as a refurbished droid bc my other one had a power button issue. Should I take it back? I've also had a lot of FCing on this phone even with the 2.1 update

OP
MAzing87

MAzing87

Reaction score

I'm having the exact same problem. I took off my screen protector and my case... still nothing. What eerrkkss me is that I just got this as a refurbished droid bc my other one had a power button issue. Should I take it back? I've also had a lot of FCing on this phone even with the 2.1 update
Yea, most likely. For a refurbished phone, how could they not pick up on this annoyance?

deathtoll2001

Reaction score
Same here

I also have this exact issue. It did not happen before 2.1 bricked my phone and I picked up a refurb, so I'm not sure if it's 2.1 or the refurb that has the problem...

sumdude

Reaction score
Same Stuff Here

I've had this issue for a long time now. I may be taking back to VZW for a swap due to a different issue, so we'll see if it ends up getting fixed.

APBTMOMMY

Reaction score

I am having same problem. My original Droid, went black after the 2.1 update and never light up again, so called talked to a lot of different people, went to the store, they took apart every thing they could and was not able to get it to work again. So they ordered me another one, got the new one in the mail, activate it, everything is peachy, then all of sudden this screen goes black and was not able to get it to light back up unless I plugged the charger into it or took the battery out. So I yet again call, go to the store, there not able to do anything with it, so now I am waiting on the 3rd one to get shipped to me and I probably will not get it until Monday. I love the phone, but I am not liking what I am having to go through to get one that works properly. Now my boyfriend on the other hand, has one does all kinds of things with it and it is working fine, he never has a problem with it. ughhh.

Last edited:

lchavez289

Reaction score
I have the answer!
So I started working at verizon a few days ago.
I placed my own tech call on my droid for problems that were all having..
It is covered by manufacter's warrently as long as you don't have any physical or water damage you will receive a refurbished replacement.
-LC