Sceen blackout/freeze?

I25

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently received a New replacement Droid 2 via an insurance claim. Out of the box, the phone was working and preforming fine. Shortly after receiving the new phone, it updated it's system version to "version.2.3.20.A955.Verizon.en.US". Since that update my screen will randomly black out and/or phone will lock up.

Here is an example (Don't ave a screen shot so made one) of what my screen will look like when I say "black"
blackscreen.jpg

Notice how the status bar stays up visible, but the usable part of the screen is mostly gone.

I can drag the status bar down and it is visible in the previously black area, but once I put it back up the screen is once again black.

I've only come up with two "quick" fixes for this, and one is pulling the battery. The other is holding down the screen till the little widget manager comes up. Once I exit that, the screen returns to normal.

I do not have any special background, I'm running a stock one. The phone isnt rooted, or modified in anyway.

List of added apps:
Chomp
Twidroyd
Foursquare
Facebook
Angry Birds
Air Traffic
Advance Task Killer

Again, this happens randomly. So there isn't one single program/action I am using/doing to start this process of fail.

Along with that issue, I'm having issues with the phone locking up at random. There really isn't much to add to this issue besides the system hanging up.

If you require anymore information that I might have glanced over, please let me know. I'll try to be as detailed as possible.

chrstdvd

Reaction score
I'd say take it to the store and have them check it. In addition there is another update. Try that to see if the phone behaves after it is installed.

OP
I

I25

Reaction score
I'd say take it to the store and have them check it. In addition there is another update. Try that to see if the phone behaves after it is installed.

I did take it, they just reset the phone and dial a number (forgive me for forgetting what it was, I know it had something to do with registering the phone).

How do I force a download for it? I tried to check for updates but it says I'm current with all updates.

chrstdvd

Reaction score
the nr is *228 and if your phone says it is up do date, perhaps the newer version of 2.2 has not been forced to your phone yet. Not all phones get updates at the same time. Glad your problem was fixed.

OP
I

I25

Reaction score
Oh its far from fixed. :(

I'm still getting the blank/black screen at random.

chrstdvd

Reaction score
The next step is to see if one of those apps you listed above is causing the problem. Foursquare and Advanced task killer bring red flags to my mind. I believe I have read other posts and articles that those two, especially Adv Tsk Kil, cause problems. I know many of the Senior and Master Droids on this forum say to get rid of it.

You can delete them first and see if it will clear this problem. Should this work you can re-download the ones that did not cause the problem.

OP
I

I25

Reaction score
The next step is to see if one of those apps you listed above is causing the problem. Foursquare and Advanced task killer bring red flags to my mind. I believe I have read other posts and articles that those two, especially Adv Tsk Kil, cause problems. I know many of the Senior and Master Droids on this forum say to get rid of it.

You can delete them first and see if it will clear this problem. Should this work you can re-download the ones that did not cause the problem.

Ok, I'll give that a try. Do you have any recommendations for something to replace it with if ATK turns out to be the issue?

gunz.jones

Reaction score
Try getting launcher pro or adw and having it protect the desktop to memory. Sometimes the phones kill it and have trouble restarting the program, had a g1 that did that.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

chrstdvd

Reaction score
Frankly, I would not replace it. Many articles on this forum tell us to read how the Android system was designed not to run out of memory. I have learned to just trust the Android System do what it is designed to do. If you need memory for an operation, the system will close any non essential programs when required. You can go to the Android Developers Site to get much of this info, or just search this forum for Task Killer and find one of the links there that will send you off into many articles about how the system is designed to work.

OP
I

I25

Reaction score
Removed ATK, so far so good.

Only thing I've noticed now is random buttons are now shortcuts to stuff and I have to pull the battery to revert them back to normal.

OP
I

I25

Reaction score
Correction...it's still doing it.

Palazuelosva

Reaction score
I had this same problem with my droid 1, after receiving 8 replacement phones they decided to upgrade me to droid 2 for free. I received a brand new droid 2. I rooted it and was experimenting with roms, I bricked the phone and tried to sbf but I used the wrong sbf and the phone became useless showing only an error and starting in bootloader. I called and received a replacement droid 2 and now I have that same problem once in a while. What I do I just open the web since that's all I can see then I exit it and it fixes the problem. I believe this is a glitch of the 2.2 update since this became a problem on my droid 1 after I received 2.2 and the same happened wit my droid 2

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App