Samsung's New Galaxy Tab 3 10.1 Likely to Feature a Version Running Intel Processor

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
samsung-intel.jpg

A new report suggests Samsung is going to change things up in the processor department with their next generation Galaxy Tab 3 10.1. Supposedly, at least one version of the new tab will be sporting an Intel Clover Trail+ processor. This would be a huge win for Intel as they have been slowly pushing their way into the mobile market, but have yet to gain traction with any of the big-name manufacturers.

Apparently, their new tech has now impressed the biggest mobile manufacturer, Samsung. Samsung normally uses either their own processor or ARM-based chipsets. If they are at least toying with an Intel based chip, it shows the technology has progressed and becoming more competitive with ARM's designs. Here's a quote with more of the details,

Samsung has chosen Intel's Clover Trail+ mobile chip for at least one version of its Galaxy Tab 3 10.1, which competes with Apple Inc's iPad, a source familiar with the matter told Reuters on Thursday, speaking on condition of anonymity because the specifications have not been announced.

Samsung has previously used chips designed with energy-efficient technology from the UK's ARM Holdings for its best-selling mobile devices. It employs Intel processors for its line of Microsoft Windows "ATIV" tablets -- a much smaller market compared with devices based on Google Inc's Android.

Samsung will unveil new ATIV tablets using Intel chips at a June 20 event in London, said the source, as well as an additional person familiar with the event. It was unclear whether the Galaxy Tab would debut at the same event.

The Asian electronics giant's decision to begin using Intel in a marquee Android device counts as a coup for the US chipmaker as it races to establish itself in a mobile market it was slow initially to recognize and invest in.

Source: Reuters

Asgard

Reaction score
"Which compete with apple's iPad"

I wish android manufacturers stop try to beat the ipad/iphone and instead just focus on themselves. I don't try to start a flamewar and I'm an android supporter, I love my GNex, what get's on my nerves is that they design phones or tablets trying to be the "iphone killer/ipad killer" instead of just focusing on "This phone/tablet is so good that it will blow your mind"

Just my opinion.

hotice

Reaction score
Friends don't let friends power Android with x86. It's just a bad idea. You'll have compatibility problems and where it works, you'll likely run into some optimization issues. As far as Intel pushing their way into the mobile market, slow isn't even the word for it because that implies a faster pace. The Cius had an x86 processor a few years ago and it was a complete flop. The Razr i was released, also with an x86 Atom, maybe 6 months ago in Europe and it hasn't exactly been making much news other than it came out right away that it wasn't compatible with Chrome. They released a new version of Chrome for it. I think there have been some Google TV devices with Atom's but we all know how popular they've been.

Asgard

Reaction score
Friends don't let friends power Android with x86. It's just a bad idea. You'll have compatibility problems and where it works, you'll likely run into some optimization issues. As far as Intel pushing their way into the mobile market, slow isn't even the word for it because that implies a faster pace. The Cius had an x86 processor a few years ago and it was a complete flop. The Razr i was released, also with an x86 Atom, maybe 6 months ago in Europe and it hasn't exactly been making much news other than it came out right away that it wasn't compatible with Chrome. They released a new version of Chrome for it. I think there have been some Google TV devices with Atom's but we all know how popular they've been.

Well, there is the androidx86 project, and they even managed to get ICS to run perfectly on a laptop, but it's just a side project of some devs and sadly intel would never pay attention to them.